Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malbone

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at keeping a couple of small lizards - thinking gecko's or dwaf bearded dragons but I really don't know what's out there - can any live without a heater inside the house in perth - any suggestions on where to look for sale in perth - I think here is quite small compared to over east - I would really like to have some desert rats but a no no here - Adelaie look ok for them - any suggestions for an easy lizard to keep................thanks mal

Hi Mal, I would imagine that there would be a lot of Western Bearded Dragons (Pogona minor minor) available from breeders and pet shops alike. They are easy to source in Perth. You will need to hold a category 2 reptile keeping licence to be able to purchase and own one. They do require heating, roughly 35-45°C for the hot spot. I suggest reading A Guide to . . . Australian Lizards in Captivity by Dr Danny Brown or Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards edited by Mike Swan. They are considered to be easy pet lizards to keep, although the wild caught ones can be finicky so make sure you select one that is captive bred and feeding well.

It is key to do your research in selecting the species of lizard that would best suite your requirements. Are there other lizards you are interested in that you are allowed to keep? What in particular are you looking for within a pet lizard? Does it have to be pretty? Small? Handable? Blue-tongues and Bobtails/Shinglebacks are good pet lizards, if not on the large size. Centralian Blue Tongues (Tiliqua multifasciata) are the smallest Blue-tongues that can be kept in WA. I'm not much of a gecko expert nor avid keeper of them, however. I currently keep some Three Lined Knob Tailed Geckos (Neprurus levis pilbarensis) but I will be getting out of them shortly, they require heating, roughly 30-32°C for the hot spot. Think carefully on your choice. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Two first steps :
find out what species suit you and if you don't to bother with heating, what can live happily in an enclosure that's unheated (again that's found in your location)
and
do your research before buying the reptile and make sure everything is in place before buy it.

Read books magazines website watch youtube (filter the **** on it) and research fill yourself with so much knowledge you'll be bullet proof , of sorts... bearded dragons are the way to go. Easy and hardy...geckos will spend a lot of time hiding.. one of the best things is you joined this forum group. So ask as many questions as you like..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back