Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquaman

Crowy
Reaction score
Hi
Just a bit of an intro & info.

Located S.E.Q
The Mrs, myself & daughter have fallen in love with pythons .
Have been researching & setting up a terrarium.
(A second terraium To follow)

Extreamly hard decision as to what to get.
1st choice was a GTP,
but with a lot of research I realised I need to walk before I run..

So I have narrowed it down to a Jungle jag. Or coastal python.

My nephew has a 9 y/o jungle python that I spend a bit of time handling, as he never handles it (scared). So he relies on me to handle it while he cleans out its terrarium.

I do most of my research via search engines, but I will ask some questions in my search for needed information.

Cheers
Aquaman

If your question is what species to get you are going to get advice suggesting everything from pygmy pythons to anaconda's. Seriously if its a choice between the 2 I would say coastal carpet. Only because Jungles can be a bit more temperamental.
Jags I avoid....but many love them.....please do your own research on neuro in Jag line animals before making a final decision to buy into something you are not prepared for.

Welcome to APS. By all means ask any question that comes up, or use the search engine up the top. Often there are threads for common questions.
The best advice I can give is get yourself one (or both) of the following:
"A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity", by Adam Elliott
"Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons", by Mike Swan

Good to see you've done your research, and decided that a GTP isn't for you. Amazing looking snakes, but I would never recommend them to a newbie.
From the two pythons you've listed, I'd pick the coastal, they are generally pretty easy going and placid when older :)

I agree with Pauls_Pythons about the Jag, and personally I'm against them. The neuro can get pretty severe in some, but stay mild in others., either way, the snake would have neurological issues to some degree.
For coastals, they get quite long, so eventually a 5ft terrarium may be needed, they can get to be a handful being so big. Also a larger snake means larger food, they can easily eat rabbits when adults.
Have you looked into Bredli's? They look a bit like red GTPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back