Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so and there'll be a more than a few that here agree... but you'll be wrapped whatever you get. Plus it really won't be long after getting one (of any type) before you think about expanding the collection! Hmmm. I don't think I should have drunk so much tonight lol.

my jungle

Picture112.jpg

Picture108.jpg

Picture109.jpg

his colours are just starting to show,
his about 8 mnths old now, so yeah...

awwww hes Bootiful crush....thanks for sharing. I Do have a bit of a thing for jungles it seems!

ok...after a bit of advice and some thinking ive narrowed it down to a Diamond or a jungle...they are my two favs. Now the next step...if im looking for juviniles...am i better buying privately through here...or from a shop?

Sorry to say but for a first python i wouldn't be keeping a diamond or a jungle,diamonds have different requirements than all other pythons but having said that if you do enough research and provide them with what they need there's no other real reason not to get one,just me personally i wouldn't recomend a diamond if it's your very first go at keeping any type of snake and most jungles not all tend to be quite snappy as juveniles which can put a lot of newbies right off plus if youwant a really nice one be expecting to pay a lot more than most other morelia species.Athertons tend to be a little quieter and less expensive however i would go with a good old coastal,they come in a huge assortement of colours and patterns and can be picked up at very very reasonable prices and i also wouldn't buy from a shop you just don't know enough about their background and the shops will tell you anything to make a sale,not all but most imo i would go private and look at the adds here in the for sale section or somewhere like the HERP TRADER or URS...Good luck and welcome to an addictive hobby!!

Welcome to APS Defiant!

You'll find alot of good info on this site and alot of people willing to give you all the help you need. Although I don't keep snakes, I can give you a small insight into what species you can keep without a permit (I'm assuming your permit-less?) In SA, one basic listed animal can be kept without a permit and this includes quite a variety of snake species. If you want to branch out from Pythons, you can as (I think) there is 3 Colubrid species to choose from.

Good luck!

hey there and welcome!
as browns said, jungles wouldnt be the best first snake. i havnt had a dimond so cant help there but jungles are generally snappy. they all have their own temperment though so you may get a perfect one!
i would go either a coastal or childrens,stimmi, mac. they are generally pretty cheap and will be in abundance because it is breeding season. i hope you find as awsome snake and remember if you want that jungle you get it! lol
: ) Whisper

ok....so the general concensus is a coastal.....i will see how i go!

you can get coastals that look like jungles, they have such varied colours it is amazing!
Whisper

i found someone locally who breeds murry darlings.....so im pretty sold on the idea..Took the kids to a shop to introduce them to handling a snake and they were sold! So Now im waiting for this current batch to hatch and be ready....looks like i will be the proud owner of a darling by the end of february! Thanks for all your help guys!

Id just like to say thanks to your thread defiant i now know what snake im going to get for my second one, ive decided on a stimpson. yay

if you want a small one go spotted that was my first snake and she is great never bitten or struck at me

my first was a central carpet python, its a lot less fussy than my jungles or any of my friends smaller pythons. centrals grow to about 7 feet max. wish i could post pic but look at my avatar.

Welcome, Defiant :)

If you're prepared to spend the cash, I would personally recommend either a woma, or a black-headed python as a first snake. If you're worried about size, I believe that a Tanami woma is the best looking Australian python which has a small average adult length (4-5ft) and aren't known for being tempermental.

Best of luck with everything, Defiant.

I defianantely agree...... womas are the go, black heads can be a little too food agressive IMO.
if you can find one for sale (SXR is takeing orders for 2009 atm.) a TOPAZ TANAMI WOMA is probably a better choice than just the tanami. quieter and less bitey again.

Hmm, I advise you read Reptiles Australia Volume 3 Issue 3, Doc Rock writes a brilliant overview of pet pythons, and the ups and downs of all of them, i took his advise and bought an Inland Carpet Python which he rated as th best captive python (aka. Murray/darling Carpet, Vic Carpet) they are low maintenance, EXTREMELY PLACID, beautiful markings when bought from a good dealer, very cheaap ($180-250 for under 1 year old) and are great feeders. they are a brilliant first snake, and if you are interested in owning one, PM me and i can go into more detail of the requirements for posessing one (eg. temperature, cage setup etc.)

oh whoops, sorry i didnt read above, congrats on the great buy!! murrays are defenitely the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back