Night Tiger Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing a little reading about these guys it seems their Venom is little-to-no threat to Adults...
Anyone who has been bitten by them care to share how it affected their body?

After doing a little reading about these guys it seems their Venom is little-to-no threat to Adults...

Little localized "burning" at the site of the bite and a bit of redness but no long term issues from a bite I've had. Have heard of others with more advanced symptoms though and even some that have had long term (non bite related) issues alleviated for a couple of weeks after a bite though which is interesting

Last edited:

Yeah nothing major for me either I would just be a bit itchy for a few hours maybe a day max.

Having grooved rear fangs, a typical quick bite and release will generally deliver little or no venom. As others have said symptoms may include a little itchiness and redness. A longer "chewing" type of bite will deliver a larger quantity of venom, symptoms will then often include swelling which develops over several hours to a day and in one case resulted in quite a large blister around 50mm x 15mm on my arm (but that was a 'good' bite!). In my experience the vast majority of bites are quick, strike and release type bites the longer 'chews' are generally only if you hold it too tight or restrict its movement so it feels threatened and uncomfortable, if you release it it will let go.

I was helping one of mine with a bad shed, I had her head in a pillow case but it managed to slip out without me noticing, she then started to chew on my little finger on the hand which was holding the pillowcase, I didn't actually notice (I was concentrating on the shed removal) so as a result she managed to have a nice chew for at least 15 seconds.
Symptoms were initially itchy-ness and a red lump, followed by nausea, sweating and my whole hand and forearm swelling up, this lasted the entire night and the swelling did not go down until the next day.
There is no way in hell I am risking another bite from any ven no matter how "harmless" they are supposed to be!

Last edited:
A couple of one I relocated off the road last night. I haven't come across one with the black scales "behind" the red bands looking so prominent before.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nice Night Tigers :) They're really great looking snakes. I was thinking about selling all of mine, I took pictures with the intention of using them as 'for sale' pictures but while having them out and seeing how good they looked I changed my mind :lol: They're not bad handlers for Night Tigers either, my girlfriend who has never owned a snake and has barely held any had no trouble handling them all while I was taking pictures.

Female4isasophisticate_zps3104c5a5.jpg

Female3getsdietPepsi_zpse3712046.jpg

Female4usesconditioner_zpsf4b7818d.jpg

Apparently the above two snakes have to go! I've put them in the for sale area.

So with the addition of Night Tigers to WA I am doing as much research as I can for BTS that I intend to purchase soon. What I cant find info on is the humidity level of the enclosures. What are most people keeping them at and what means do they use to keep a decent amount of humidity?

So with the addition of Night Tigers to WA I am doing as much research as I can for BTS that I intend to purchase soon. What I cant find info on is the humidity level of the enclosures. What are most people keeping them at and what means do they use to keep a decent amount of humidity?

Contrary to popular assumptions of higher levels, my lot do very well between 45 and 65 % humidity which I control via spraying their enclosures manually or having a heat source under their water bowl. Up here, I have found shedding issues with humidity constantly under 40%, but Im not sure how that will work in the cooler climates.

Feeding for adults is once a week on an adult mouse ~40-70gm but I have heard of other variations too. Don't be surprised if you get a difficult feeder as I have found several and it takes a bit of fine tuning of a variety of husbandry requirements that can be the cause.

Plenty of hides in a taller enclosure recommended and if a heat source is required, I aim for a top spot of 34 and a min of 22. Heat for me is provided by heat cord and is only on 3 months of the year.

All in all, a stunning snake and very rewarding to keep

Hey this might be a silly question but how much are these going for? and what kind of environment do they need?

Contrary to popular assumptions of higher levels, my lot do very well between 45 and 65 % humidity which I control via spraying their enclosures manually or having a heat source under their water bowl. Up here, I have found shedding issues with humidity constantly under 40%, but Im not sure how that will work in the cooler climates.

Feeding for adults is once a week on an adult mouse ~40-70gm but I have heard of other variations too. Don't be surprised if you get a difficult feeder as I have found several and it takes a bit of fine tuning of a variety of husbandry requirements that can be the cause.

Plenty of hides in a taller enclosure recommended and if a heat source is required, I aim for a top spot of 34 and a min of 22. Heat for me is provided by heat cord and is only on 3 months of the year.

All in all, a stunning snake and very rewarding to keep
Thanks for that info! :)
Sounds like heat under the water will be a must for me. In perth my vivs sit at around 30% humidity and sometimes lower. I'll aim for you 45-65%. I may even try a tiny fish tank heater.
Thanks again!

Hey this might be a silly question but how much are these going for? and what kind of environment do they need?
The breeding pair I'm getting were $750 each. The same bloke also had hatchlings for $495 each.
In WA I Also have to add $100 per animal to DEC, import permit $30 and freight at about $100. So an extra $330 on top of the animal price :(

Thanks for that info! :)
Sounds like heat under the water will be a must for me. In perth my vivs sit at around 30% humidity and sometimes lower. I'll aim for you 45-65%. I may even try a tiny fish tank heater.
Thanks again!

No worries mate. Maybe start lower, say 35% and keep an eye on the shedding and eating of these guys and raise if required. I found there was definite shedding issues under 40% and they ignored any food items for weeks if under 30%. But in saying that, it may just be the conditions here that dictated it at the time so I would really be interested to hear of your experiences.

I would hate for my advice to cause you issues and hope some other BTS keepers chime in, but I can only offer what works here for me even though have one girl under 30% who is thriving.

Pm me if you want a break down of what I've come across mate.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back