no exotics!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been asked a million times before.

And no, a million is not an exagerration.

We can't keep them because of the risk to the environment and human safety concerns.

The laws will change when either the risk is reduced to a state whereby the environment is no longer at risk (or the environment no longer exists), or some idiot political party ignores sound judgement and scientific evidence and changes the law to suit themselves.

:p

Hix

Mainly the risk of them becoming vermin, no, it won't change (but rumours to the contrary will probably never stop, at least in our lifetimes) and yes, it's been asked more times than I've thought about Water Pythons.

I don't think it's unfortunate at all. If exotics were legalised, we'd go the way of USA. Most of what most people would be keeping would be exotics rather than natives, which I personally think would be a great shame. Legalising them would cause a massive increase in the numbers being kept, which in turn would lead to a massive increase in the numbers escaping (take a look around the forums, you'll see countless posts along the lines of "HELP! I wasn't able to prevent my snake escaping!"), which would cause an increase in the chances of us having to deal with new pest species. Look at birds, look at mammals, look at fish. You can walk down to your local pet store and buy exotics in any of those categories. Go for a walk and look at the birds and mammals, or check out our waterways and see what you find... mostly exotics. The same can be said of plants. Exotic reptiles are illegal, go for a walk and see how many exotic reptiles you find in the wild in this country.

I hope things don't change.

Thor1 said:
i also dont want our natives to have another animal screwing them up
ie. cane toads
but i would like one or two myself.
its a tricky situation

Most of us would.

Sdaji said:
Haha, you got me back, Hix :lol:

:p :p :p :p :p

Hix

No I doubt things will change but that's fine as the reptiles escaping into the wild will be illegal exotics as opposed to legal ones :)

just coz exotics aint legal dont mean you cant have em, people still insist on keeping them, threatning our environment by keeping these animals

I'm sorry I understand some people are against them but while it is legal to have cats, dogs, horses, cows, sheep, goats, pigs, Llamas, alpacas, camels, rabbits, guinae pigs, rats, mice, ferrets, etc, etc, etc I can't take the whole environmental threat aspect very seriously. Oh and lets not forget the devastating affects of continued land clearance and unabated growth of towns and cities which causes far greater damage to the environment.
I'm not saying it is right or wrong to have them but please don't try and have us believe that they are goig to destroy the world as we know it :)
I always find it a very interesting subject and I am able to talk about it in a well mannered courteous way.

i dont really find the exotics appealing, the only i would ever be interested in would be tortises

Well thank you sir. :lol:

A quote from Simon Stones website regarding his survey/albino competition
' What really surprised me was that 62.8% of all entrants said that they would like to keep exotics if it were legal to do so in Australia. '

africancichlidau said:
That's because you are a well mannered and courteous human being Mr. Boa sir :)

I have exotics.
Mice, Thai fighting fish...... i even keep australian herps outside of their local range ;)

You do realise this is a fairly open forum don't you ? You never know who could be reading this. ;-)

I read something on another post a few days ago which made a lot of sense to me.

Just about all Pythons held in the southern states are exotic to those states. Over the years thousands have escaped yet can anyone show even one colony of these escapes that are breeding in the wild.

There are very few examples anywhere in the world where exotic reptiles have become a problem. I can think of Red Eared Sliders here in Australia(where literally thousands were released into a confined environment). Brown tree Snakes in Guam. Burmese pythons in the Everglades(which was nearly a idendical envirnment to where they came from. And a species of Boa that was released on a small island in the Carrabean.

It is only a scaremonger tactic based on 4 species around the world. If you truely believe these animals could pose a risk to the environment then you should also never keep an Australian reptile outside of its home range. There is no difference and to say otherwise makes you a hypocric.

The one and only danger with exotics is the introduction of diseases. But if zoo's can legally import these animal through quarantine, then there should be no difference with the general public if they are prepared to pay for quarantine.

Bob, you are exactly right and that's exactly what I have been saying for years. It is scaremongering and nothing else. It is ridiculous to comapre say Cane Toads that were deliberately released in viable numbers to become established with the odd escaped reptile native or exotic.
If people are just anti exotuics then fine but don't try and justify that position by telling us that they are a huge threat to the environment because there is absolutely nothing to support that position.
As I have always said I am in favour of legalising exotics NOT importing them so any perceived disease risk is virtually non existent. Zoos around the country breed a great many exotics every year and they could be sold to experienced keepers and any risks would be far smaller than presently exists where exotics are still apparently flooding into the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back