no exotics!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times have I used the term 'head stuck in the sand' in the last 2 or 3 years ?
I don't think you have to be pro exotics to know we need a system that actually works. I am amazed that people on here talk about exotics as if there are 3 or 400 kicking around. No offence to you Africa but what o Earth makes you think that MORE exotics will be released if they are made legal ?
No-one is calling for the importation of more exotics, what we need is a system of control, not harsher penalties as that hasn't had any beneficial affect on any illegal activity.
I am pro exotic in so far as we need to do something about them. It''s all very well busting a couple of people with a cornsnake and a few Boas but that's like a grain of sand on the beach.
I hear all this talk of what legal exotics will do to the environment but seem oblivious to the fact that there are 10's of 1000's of illegal exotics here.

bigguy said:
In NSW this year it was estimated some 10, 000 exotics were bred and sold as illegal pets without any control whatsoever.

Bob,

I'm curious to know where this information comes from, as I imagine it would be hard to quantify something like this that is not recorded.

:p

Hix

CodeRed said:
moosenoose said:
I think the Exotics would be fine, it's some of the people keeping them that would be the trouble.

yeah didnt you know, all reptile keepers are tatooed, peirced, ex-con, biker, drug dealing, dole bludgers 8)

did I leave anyone out? :wink:

I don't fit into any of those categories :cry:

sorry sdaji,
feel free to add another category for yourself :D

Funny that one arguement used by the pro exotic people is

"look at the poll! So many people said they would keep exotics if they were legal! So many of them!"

Yet on the other hand they say there are so many here already. I think it's plain as can be that if legalised, the number being kept would increase dramatically and the number of natives being kept would decrease. More being kept means more will escape, you can't deny that.

Many crimes are more common than keeping exotics, we don't control problems like burglary and assult by legalising them, we minimise them by making them illegal.

Sdaji said:
I don't fit into any of those categories :cry:

But you look like you would. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all about perceptions, not reality.

Hix

boa said:
I hear all this talk of what legal exotics will do to the environment but seem oblivious to the fact that there are 10's of 1000's of illegal exotics here.

Evidence please.

CodeRed said:
sorry sdaji,
feel free to add another category for yourself :D

You should probably add one for me as I'd use something narcissistic like "possesor of overwhelmingly beautiful hair" :lol: :roll: : 8) :oops: :shock:

ok, I'll edit my list :D

bummer, wont let me edit it :(

Nah, mine is heaps better than his and I'm not a fat biker :p

bigguy wrote: ?

In NSW this year it was estimated some 10, 000 exotics were bred and sold as illegal pets without any control whatsoever.

I talk to reptile people all day long at my Reptile shop for years & ive only had one person who has told me that they had a corn snake.
I dont think there are any where near the numbers Bigguy states, unless they all live near him witch gives bob this impression?
I have read every post on this discussion & I dont think its a good idea to keep exotics in Australia of any kind.
Why not try to fix things then let it go to the total devistation.

NO EXOTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or Hippies!!!!!!!!

Sadji you need curls, lol

Jason

:lol: You can't be that naive ? Of course no-one can give you evidence but anyone who doesn't accept it's a HUGE problem is, as Bob said, sticking their heads in the sand I'm afraid.
Don't get me wrong, it obviously make no difference to me who believes it or not, just let it go along the way it has for the last 10 years.

Nagraj said:
Evidence please.

Jason, how many people walk into your shop and tell you they are drug dealers or burglars or carjackers ? :lol:

ReptileCity said:
I talk to reptile people all day long at my Reptile shop for years & ive only had one person who has told me that they had a corn snake.

Jason

I estimate that the total number of people keeping reptiles in Australia is probably something in the order of 20,000. Of that, a majority would only have 1 or 2 snakes. So let's say 5,000 are keeping larger collections. Of that 5,000 a very small percentage would have access to, and the willingness to risk the loss of their legal collection, to keep exotics illegally.

Where are your "tens of thousands" going to fit?

Its a petshop Boa :wink:

If it was a shop selling crack pipes and bongs, they might mention there drugs habits.

boa said:
Jason, how many people walk into your shop and tell you they are drug dealers or burglars or carjackers ? :lol:

ReptileCity said:

Jason

Nagraj said:
I estimate that the total number of people keeping reptiles in Australia is probably something in the order of 20,000. Of that, a majority would only have 1 or 2 snakes. So let's say 5,000 are keeping larger collections. Of that 5,000 a very small percentage would have access to, and the willingness to risk the loss of their legal collection, to keep exotics illegally.

Im not going to hazard a guess on the number of exotics kept off licence in Oz.

But i have been offered Exotics in the past, and been told by people they can get "anything".

The problem is big, i have no doubt at all, i just think making it legal isnt the correct course of action.

Matt

I agree with Boa and Bigguy.......If you belive anything else on this matter you are kidding yourself

Nagraj said:

I hate to disagree with someone who has the same views as I do, but those numbers are underestimates.

NSW has more than 9,500 licensed reptile keepers, and as SA and Vic have been able to keep reptiles for much longer than NSW, I'd say there's close to that number - if not more - in each of those States. And that's just people holding them legally. There are people who have no license and have exotics, so they aren't risking their collection by having the exotics, their collection is at risk anyway as they have no license.

However, if there are 10,000 exotics being bred in NSW in the past year, then I, too, would like to know what is happening to them all. The market in NSW cannot support a glut like that.

Hix

Exactly right, the 'problem' is huge. The people breeding large numbers of exotics ARE NOT licensed keepers so they don't even enter into the equation.

da_donkey said:
I agree with Boa and Bigguy.......If you belive anything else on this matter you are kidding yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back