Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My_Snakey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are moving to WA, but I have just been told by Domestic Quarantine that my Bredli Python, Grinner, isn't allowed into WA.

Is this right? Is there no way that I can bring my much loved pet into WA? The man on the phone told me "Well atleast you know now and have time to give him away or sell him" :x :x :x

I haven't stopped crying since I got off the phone and thought I would come on here to ask you guys.

Yes it's true, you can't bring pythons into WA from the eastern states. Quarrantine issues regarding OPMV etc stop you being able to bring them over.

Andrew

i think in WA they do not allow anything reptile that is non-native to that state, but i could be wrong. sorry to hear this.

You are correct, from my understanding it is no animals into WA and once there you can only keep local species.

They are doing what they see as right to protect their local species.

Well I was going to fly my dogs over aswell at a later date...Surely they will accept my dogs?

The man rattled off a list of what is allowed, but all I can remember is him saying "Stimsons, Woma, Olive, Central Carpet, but no Bredli". I thought Central Carpet WAS a Bredli? Sorry if I got that wrong :oops:

You are only allowed SWCP as far as Morelia go, not Central Carpet. We are allowed to import any species that are on our keepers list except pythons

Olives are on a high category5 which means strict keeping guidelines over here

You are only allowed SWCP as far as Morelia go, not Central Carpet. We are allowed to import any species that are on our keepers list except pythons

Olives are on a high category5 which means strict keeping guidelines over here

So there is absolutely NO WAY that I can bring him over?

That's interesting, any idea why elapids are exempt and not Pythons? What about elapids (such as Collett's) that aren't native to the state??

I'm sure dogs are Ok, My Snake:)! They allowed me camels (wild caught from Lake Eyre Basin) after some innoculations and a stop at the agricultural check point in Kununurra.

How am I suppose to chose between a better life for myself or selling my much loved pet just because he can't come with me?

This really sucks!!!!!!!

Only Elapids that are on ou list IV

As Andrew said the ban on Pythons is based on keeping out OPMV. I guess they don't consider Elapids as a disease risk. All of the Elapids that are on our list occur in WA .

Sorry My Snakey but you have to make the choice try and give it to someone that you know will care for it is my advice and move on.

Last edited:
Appologies Steve1, as soon as I replied, I realised you'd already answered my question! Fair enough too!!

My Snakey, I'm sure a good home can be found for your beloved pet and think of all the great herps they have over there:)! It could be worse, at least your not moving to New Zealand!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs are fine to bring in to WA. OPMV and boyds disease are what stops pythons coming in from over east, I think, as well as the possibility the DEC only wanting WA species on the list but i'm not sure on that one considering RSP are an endemic WA python but not even on our list :evil: . As far as the guy talking to you saying olives, womas, stimsons etc are allowed to be taken over it's flat wrong info if that is what he was telling you. If you look here you'll get an idea of what little species we are allowed to keep.

Department of Environment and Conservation - Reptiles as pets it's the PDF on the page near the bottom.

Andrew

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]These are the categories that contain our keepable snake species. [/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]Scientific name Common name[/FONT]

[/FONT]12.
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Antaresia stimsoni [/FONT][/FONT]Stimson.s Python

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Chelodina oblonga [/FONT][/FONT]Oblong Tortoise

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Ctenophorus reticulatus [/FONT][/FONT]Western Netted Dragon

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Egernia kingii [/FONT][/FONT]King Skink

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Litoria splendida [/FONT][/FONT]Magnificent Tree Frog

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Morelia spilota imbricata [/FONT][/FONT]South-western Carpet Python

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Nephrurus levis [/FONT][/FONT]Three-lined Knob-tailed Gecko

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Oedura marmorata [/FONT][/FONT]Marbled Velvet Gecko

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Underwoodisaurus milii [/FONT][/FONT]Thick-tailed Gecko

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Varanus caudolineatus [/FONT][/FONT]Stripe-tailed Pygmy Monitor
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Category 4[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]Scientific name Common name[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]
[/FONT]22.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Aspidites melanocephalus [/FONT][/FONT]Black-headed python

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Aspidites ramsayi [/FONT][/FONT]Woma Python

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Chelodina steindachneri [/FONT][/FONT]Flat-shelled Turtle

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Chlamydosaurus kingi [/FONT][/FONT]Frilled Lizard

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Heleioporus albopunctatus [/FONT][/FONT]Western Spotted Frog

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Lophognathus longirostris [/FONT][/FONT]Long-nosed Ta-ta Dragon

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Varanus acanthurus [/FONT][/FONT]Ridge-tailed Monitor

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Varanus brevicauda [/FONT][/FONT]Short-tailed Pygmy Monitor

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Varanus tristis tristis [/FONT][/FONT]Black-tailed Monitor
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Category 5[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]Scientific name Common name[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]
[/FONT]31.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Acanthopis antarcticus [/FONT][/FONT]Southern Death Adder

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Acanthopis pyrrhus [/FONT][/FONT]Desert Death Adder

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Acanthopis wellsi [/FONT][/FONT]Pilbara Death Adder

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Liasis olivaceus [/FONT][/FONT]Olive Python

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Notechis scutatus [/FONT][/FONT]Tiger Snake

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Pseudechis australis [/FONT][/FONT]Mulga Snake

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Pseudechis butleri [/FONT][/FONT]Spotted Mulga Snake

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Pseudonaja affinis affinis [/FONT][/FONT]Dugite

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Pseudonaja nuchalis [/FONT][/FONT]Gwardar

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Varanus gouldii [/FONT][/FONT]Gould.s Monitor

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Varanus rosenbergi [/FONT][/FONT]Southern Heath Monitor
JUDY EDWARDS, Minister for the Environment

Last edited:
It's definitely a shame, but the law is the law.
Anyone looking at moving states with herps should always check state wildlife laws.
I hope your bredli goes to a good home.
It sucks that there are different laws for different states...our government is filled with paper pushing time wasters who have nothing better to do than to make life difficult...c'est la vie.

as well as the possibility the DEC only wanting WA species on the list but i'm not sure on that one considering RSP are an endemic WA python but not even on our list :evil: .

Would this be because no one breeds RSP's in WA, therefore every RSP has to be imported from the East?

The weird thing is, you can't keep / bring in RSPs, yes they are endemic to WA.

as well as the possibility the DEC only wanting WA species on the list but i'm not sure on that one considering RSP are an endemic WA python but not even on our list :evil: .

Would this be because no one breeds RSP's in WA, therefore every RSP has to be imported from the East?

No, it's because the DEC haven't put it on the keeping list

DEC are reviewing the keepers list but they are unlikely to make any significant changes and have indicated that RSP won't be added citing that they will not allow them to be imported back into WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back