Norhtern spiny tailed geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure but they look good will be getting two myself soon

thanks for the info so far i think they are the best looking strophurus ive seen do they need uv?i know geckos dont need it but ive been told these geckos bask i just need to know because im getting an adult pair next week

strophurus ciliaris svl 89mm spiny-tailed, with long spines above the eye, large tubercles scattered over back and 2 impressive rows of long spines along top of tail. Mouth lining yellow to orange. Colouration variable; pale and virtually patternless to brown,sharply dotted with white and blotched with orange. sub spcecies S.c.ciliaris has mostly orange spines on tail. Remaining caudal scales flat and granular. Lizards from n. of range are largest and most spectacular S.c. aberrans has mostly black spines and tubercles; remaining caudal scales are tuberculer very wide spread in arid shrublands, spinifex deserts and tropical woodlands S.c. aberrans occur from the sw. Kimberly to the nw. coast and interior. Some southern populations may represent seperate undescribed sub species

compliments "a complete guide to reptiles of australia (second edition)" :D

Anytime python blue ;) i've only just realised how stunning some gecko's truly are definately an interesting reptile to keep

thanks for the info so far i think they are the best looking strophurus ive seen do they need uv?i know geckos dont need it but ive been told these geckos bask i just need to know because im getting an adult pair next week

Yes they bask, provide plenty of sticks to climb, and they should have UV, more dependant when young in particular.

hmm thanks guys/gals im going to be putting them in a 2ft long tank so that should be alright,what would you's sugest for the flooring.

would wood chips be ok flooring with palm peat under neath it as id like to put some live plants in there if possible?what plants would yous recomend

i have kept them with uv and without uv and i found that yeh you can keep them without uv without any hassles at all intil its breeding time.If you want to breed though i would give them a little uv as i found without it i got a much higher mortality rate in hatchies.This could be just coincidence and coinsided with just a poor season,but everyone i sold them too i recomended uv and whats it hurt to make that little extra effort and provide it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back