Northern Blue tongues

Discussion in 'Australian Lizards and Monitors' started by Hamalicious, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamalicious

Hamalicious Well-Known Member

Anyone know about keeping these guys or if anyone even does? Never heard of people keeping them but i've been looking at photos and i'd love to get onto some if i could.

Hamish

2. Helikaon

Helikaon Very Well-Known Member

heaps of people do, they are cool massive skinks, keep an eye out this coming season and if your looking Pm me and ill pass on some breeders details

3. MonitorMayhem

MonitorMayhem Well-Known Member

plenty of these guys around I think there one of the largest blueys getting around correct me if im wrong very nice looking animals

4. Hamalicious

Hamalicious Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, good to know they are around. Are they pretty similar requirements to our eastern blueys? I'd like to get a couple for an out door enclosure i'm building. What kind of price do they go for on average?

5. MonitorMayhem

MonitorMayhem Well-Known Member

I have a friend that keeps them he brings them indoors for winter so not sure how they handle the cold I think he has left them out before not sure how they went that's here in south Australia you might have better weather up there than us in winter there must be someone on here that keeps them that could give you a heads up on there requirements

6. Helikaon

Helikaon Very Well-Known Member

they keep pretty much the same you just need to make sure they dont get to damp outside, we have these crappy wet winters in the last few years and they are the death of Blueys if left outside. Keep them dry and keep them somewhere that will get good sunlight, making sure you have plenty of space for them to get cool if needed, they reckon this summer is gonna be a hot one. Also they are known for their attitude compared to some of the other BT species, so dont overcrowd and make sure you seperate if you get any aggression.

7. richardsc

richardsc Very Well-Known Member

similar to easterns just not as cold hardy,mine breed well with out needing to shut heating off,melbournes winter ambients is enough to slow them down enough to cycle,mine are just finished up there mating season,dry season breeders

nov/dec you should see quite a few babies become available

they are one of the roughest skinks when housed in prs or groups,probably safest housing them singley,though some seem to get along fine,that can easily change with the blink of an eye and they don't fool around

definatly the largest of the aussie blueys

8. bigguy

bigguy Very Well-Known Member

I have found females tend to be very aggressive with both males and other females. My males live together with no problems, BUT the females have to be housed by themselves. As previously stated, when they fight they do not muck around. It is full on.
    As for handling, once out of their enclosure they are just as placid as any other BT species. Normally sell for around $80 per juvenile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.