Not concerned, just intrigued.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JM1982

Reaction score
<BEHIND YOU> ...(if your in Melbourne and your
So I'm sure most people know the 'white' in a snakes defecate is the wee.
But orange? Anyone experienced this or know what it is?

(Changed from 1 'weaner mouse' to 1 'fuzzy rat' weekly last feed)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 412
I've heard that yellowing may imply slight dehydration. I had this with mine and started dipping feeds in water for extra moisture. Haven't had a reoccurrence.

Gee, there's almost an obsessive interest in snake waste - the theories, the diagnosis. The white part is the urates (basically crystalline urine...) It can be stained or coloured by any number of influences, not the least of which is the length of time it stays inside the snake. It's very unlikely that snakes in captivity, which have access to water constantly, are dehydrated under normal circumstances. In the wild they routinely go without drinking for months on end, without harm at all, but if you pick one up to move it off the road, they will still pass gleaming white urates under the stress of being picked up. They aren't like humans, whose urine does become a bit more yellow if we don't drink enough fluids.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a plethora of advice suggesting you make an urgent vet appointment. I'm glad you're not worried about it though - you shouldn't be :)!

Jamie

Gee, there's almost an obsessive interest in snake waste - the theories, the diagnosis. The white part is the urates (basically crystalline urine...) It can be stained or coloured by any number of influences, not the least of which is the length of time it stays inside the snake. It's very unlikely that snakes in captivity, which have access to water constantly, are dehydrated under normal circumstances. In the wild they routinely go without drinking for months on end, without harm at all, but if you pick one up to move it off the road, they will still pass gleaming white urates under the stress of being picked up. They aren't like humans, whose urine does become a bit more yellow if we don't drink enough fluids.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a plethora of advice suggesting you make an urgent vet appointment. I'm glad you're not worried about it though - you shouldn't be :)!

Jamie

Yeah not at all stressed. Just never seen orange in there before.
Trust me, if I didn't have to pick it up I wouldn't even look at it!

Im also shocked there has not been a flood of worrying wantabe veterinarian diagnoses. ;)

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back