Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
both were/are fairly common in the Indonesian herp trade (most likely wild caught specimens from PNG)

here i hardly hear anything on em, but for good reason, not one for the beginners
another reason you might not hear much of them is that they aren't legal :) sadly. i started with ridge tails and they are great i highly recommend them.

Would be great to hear anything about Kingorum, Keithorni, Barijti, Glebo, Semiremex and pilbarensis

Would be great to hear anything about Kingorum, Keithorni, Barijti, Glebo, Semiremex and pilbarensis

Definitely no chance on V.keithhornei.

V.kingorum
is in very small numbers, probably not enough to be viable, especially considering the current owner (the only one I know of that still has them) hasn't managed to breed them. At one stage they were almost unsellable - I bought an adult trio for $500 about 7 years ago. Turned out to be three females and I never could find a boy.

V.glebopalma, V.semiremex and apparently V.pilbarensis are around in small numbers. V.baritji are still around with several keepers breeding them.

Thanks for that Jonno, sad news about the Keithhorni though.
I know that Australia Zoo caught some a few years ago and managed to breed a few even though one of the adults died soon after capture, but they were only for research.

There was a V.semiremex found in WA a long time ago, so I'm thinking it must of been mis-identified and just labeled as V.semiremex.

Varanus doreanus
is on the mainland too now apparently.

V.scalaris is no doubt comprised of several species. As mentioned, V.doreanus has been found on the mainland by a reputable source. There's little chance of a completely new species arising, but no doubt there will be new species split from existing complexes, such as the fairly recent split of V.bushi.

is there any one out there keeping and or breeding varanus gouldii from NT and varanus prasinus all so looking for varanus spenceri if any one can help that would be grat thanks every one

this may have already been asked but is there any hope of varanus prasinus coming into captivity

There are a number of undescribed varanids in captivity

nice Oz gecko, any chance you can send some my way?

Hi Simon

Thanks for the great thread.
I kept V.mitchelli for a number of years until my last male died last year. While the species was the perfect size, V.mitchelli was very shy in captivity and unfortunately took some time before the animals relaxed in the enclosures.
While keeping the species I was lucky enough to get the species to breed but unfortunately never managed to get great photos.
If anyone out there has juveniles, I would be interested in getting more.

Picture 001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back