Not the Smartest Thing to Do

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
IMO, regardless of the animal and its nature, this was quite a foolish thing to do. What hope would they have had if by chance this critter decided to take an inquisitive chew?? They would have had a real emergency on their hands. This sort of thing doesn’t do positive things for the hobby/industry. Surely there should be an age minimum of 10, even 8 where the kid might stand a bit of a chance, not none at all.

resizer.aspx

Burmese pythons have gained notoriety for being a threat to children — but at Australia Zoo it seems they provide a good photo opportunity.

Jenny Cooper, who works at the Queensland zoo, stunned her father when she sent him an image of her 12-week-old daughter Lily being nestled by a 4m Burmese python.

Source: Ninensm
Link: Baby-and-python snap raises alarm

They should have some kind of policy. Maybe, children aged 8 and under must be accompanied my an adult?

DOCS? suppose its not the first retarded thing done publicly to do with reptiles, another incident involving skipping around an adult salt water crocs enclosure with a baby in arm skips to mind

Yeah its kinda stupid, for the people and snake/python involved. we got our picture taken with a big olive at dreamworld , and watched the 10 or so kids in front of us get photos taken, and not only were the kids freaking out but you could tell the olive wasnt comfortable either. as soon and we got her around us she settled down cause we wernt freaking out like the kids. but then again a 12 week old baby???? cmon is that really the smartest thing?

:shock: wreckless endangerment !
put the baby in foster care and Neuter the mother...
if something happened the snake would be blamed :rolleyes:

I'll make the assumption some of you have seen Bruno - there's a part in this where he tests how far people will go to see their tot 'famous'...

Putting with a snake - nothing!!!

Most parents (especially American ones) should be neutered.... Or at least sterilised!

An Australian woman wasted on drugs left her 7 week old baby in a car - in the sun... hmmmmmmm..... Though this one - a baby and a snake.... A burmese python....

Reminds me of a video....

[video=youtube;Z1n1zeyzrrI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1n1zeyzrrI[/video]

docs wont care, i know because my mum looks after kids that come from docs and dhs, same nsw and vic have differnt names, they dont realy care what happens to kids as most of them have just come out of uni.

In my opinion, she should be fired from the zoo.
You would think that no sane mother would endanger her 12-week old like that.

Some of the "opinions" on this forum are just funny..
It seems as if you are referring to me as I am the only one that has mentioned "opinion".

Well if you are in fact referring to me, then let me just say that if you think this woman - who chooses endanger her own child like that - should keep her job at the zoo, then you are the one with the "funny" opinion. She has obviously made a very unintelligent decision with little to no reasoning behind it. Unintelligent decisions around potentially dangerous animals are not usually desired. Therefore I wouldn't want someone like that working with these animals.

Reminds me of a time we saw a HUGE mastiff lying outside a pet shop. Some random people put their toddler with him to snap a photo without even attempting to find out where the owners were and what the dog thought of small children. Bloody idiots!

If I had money I would bet millions of dollars on the fact that snake will never bite anyone who gets a photo with it.. do you really think if there was the slightest chance the snake would eat the baby someone would have put the baby there? Come on...

If I had money I would bet millions of dollars on the fact that snake will never bite anyone who gets a photo with it.. do you really think if there was the slightest chance the snake would eat the baby someone would have put the baby there? Come on...

Of course there's the slightest chance. It's a snake.

Wasn't at all referring to you, chantelle.

I agree with Phil here. Having worked at The Australian Reptile Park previously, I know that they do put some thought into the animals that are being used for demonstrations. Outraged people who don't know much more then what the news reporter tells them are just funny, in my opinion, of course.

Kristy_07, :lol:

Just how slight is slight?

I don't doubt what you're saying... But there's obviously a slight cause for alarm (again - slight)...

How we perceive this possibility will determine whether we'd put our own child in front of the snake. Media will mis-represent because the truth very rarely sells newspapers.

However - regardless of snake temperament... Babies are incredibly unpredictable!

I've heard people say that same thing about people letting kids handle elapids. Doesn't hold much weight I'm afraid, people make poor decisions regarding the welfare of children more often than you change your jocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back