Not the Smartest Thing to Do

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't at all referring to you, chantelle.

I agree with Phil here. Having worked at The Australian Reptile Park previously, I know that they do put some thought into the animals that are being used for demonstrations. Outraged people who don't know much more then what the news reporter tells them are just funny, in my opinion, of course.

Kristy_07, :lol:

Well, then I give you my apologies.

But, I must say that it doesn't matter how much thought went into it.
If a Death Adder had never struck at someone before would you give it to a baby for a photo op?
Same principle. It hasn't hurt anyone, but it sure as hell has the potential to.

absolute stupidity how can people put so much trust in what is essentially a captive animal with wild instincts that python could kill that child before even the most experienced herper blink an eyelid

in saying that i just looked across the room and saw the photgraph of myself and my newborn son at australia zoo with a 4-5 meter burmese python around our shoulders taken several years ago the snakes head is no more than a foot away from my newborn who is oblivious to all mayb stupidity is something we all suffer from time to time
absolute stupidity how can people put so much trust in what is essentially a captive animal with wild instincts that python could kill that child before even the most experienced herper blink an eyelid

in saying that i just looked across the room and saw the photgraph of myself and my newborn son at australia zoo with a 4-5 meter burmese python around our shoulders taken several years ago the snakes head is no more than a foot away from my newborn who is oblivious to all mayb stupidity is something we all suffer from time to time

I think your back-peddling style is awesome... respect.

Actually, I've worked at Oz zoo with this snake (well, I think it's the same one. I still have mates there and no one mentioned a new burmie/swap...). Beautiful animal. Placid to the point of boring, like all the other demo animals. Hence why they use it for photo shoots. I don't think I know the girl whose baby is in the photo.

There's calculated risk in everything we do with kids. I saw a kid at Oz zoo running around in the kangaroo paddock get kicked in the guts by a roo, smashed into a fence and broke his arm. Please restrain from the, "But it's hardly the same thing.." comments. The baby was probably in more danger from the car ride to the zoo than that snake.

yeh cheers got the photo taken end of 07 for work xmas party family day at oz zoo to be honest the burmese was the friendliest critter i come in contact with all day especially after being told to move aside for bunter the wombat who got cranky at us for being in his way while taking his morning walk

Actually, I've worked at Oz zoo with this snake (well, I think it's the same one. I still have mates there and no one mentioned a new burmie/swap...). Beautiful animal. Placid to the point of boring, like all the other demo animals. Hence why they use it for photo shoots. I don't think I know the girl whose baby is in the photo.

There's calculated risk in everything we do with kids. I saw a kid at Oz zoo running around in the kangaroo paddock get kicked in the guts by a roo, smashed into a fence and broke his arm. Please restrain from the, "But it's hardly the same thing.." comments. The baby was probably in more danger from the car ride to the zoo than that snake.

IMO, regardless of the animal and its nature, this was quite a foolish thing to do. What hope would they have had if by chance this critter decided to take an inquisitive chew??
Sorry Moosenoose, here I am posting in your thread and not even replying to you. You're right, it's pretty stupid. I've seen enough cases of animals that their owners/handlers thought were placid turning around and lunching people who were handling them to see the foolishness in this one. Snakes who have been handled for years and years with no drama are still animals unable to communicate when they've finally had enough of being manhandled in many other ways than to bite or constrict.

Crikey!! Something outlandish from Australia Zoo, who'd have thunk it.... ;)

One can never know what is going on in the mind of a snake, or any creature for that matter. Snakes that have been used for years in demos with no problems have in the past had to be removed from public appearances due to biting etc. I personally would not allow my children to be in such a position.

I know the snake as well. Seemed sweeter than sugar. The fact is it's still a snake.

About relating this to a kid getting kicked in the guts:
Was the kid a 12 week old infant who had been put in that situation by their mother?
No? Then it's not the same thing.

Honestly I wouldn't care so much if it was a child sitting there, but a 12 week old infant is a bit much.

Just my opinion.

P.S: Sorry for not restraining for the "But it's hardly the same thing.." comment.
Meant no offense, just didn't see a strong relation between the two situations.

Last edited:
I know the snake as well. Seemed sweeter than sugar. The fact is it's still a snake.

About relating this to a kid getting kicked in the guts:
Was the kid a 12 week old infant who had been put in that situation by their mother?
No? Then it's not the same thing.

Honestly I wouldn't care so much if it was a child sitting there, but a 12 week old infant is a bit much.

Just my opinion.

Cool.

Having dogs and babies in the same house okay? Any pet (fish are probably exempt)? Taking babies in cars? It's all calculated risk assessment, and if one person thinks it's fine to take their kids in the car, and others think it's okay to wrap them in a snake, well.. who are we to judge? ;)

Cool.

Having dogs and babies in the same house okay? Any pet (fish are probably exempt)? Taking babies in cars? It's all calculated risk assessment, and if one person thinks it's fine to take their kids in the car, and others think it's okay to wrap them in a snake, well.. who are we to judge? ;)

"others think it's okay to wrap them in a snake, well.. who are we to judge? ;)"
Lol. Win. :lol:

Anyway, to answer:
1. Dogs attack babies all the time.
2. There is safety equipment for taking babies in cars and of course it's not safe but it is necessary on many occasions...
....Where as a photo op with a snake isn't in anyway necessary.

Having kids in a car is often a necessity. Putting an infant in the clutch of a Burmese is not.

I think the "lifestyle necessities" discussion is a whole other thread, but I'm busy with creationism right now.

I might just take the win, if that's okay. :D

at the end of the day snakes are just like people some are nice and can be trusted by those who know, others are completely untrustworthy I think the opinions of people on this forum can sometimes be based on the attitudes of snakes they have dealt with in their own experience. Personally since the incident in america last year regarding the two year year old killed in his bed by an escapee burm in the hands of an inexperienced keeper changed my views on snake keeping with kids forever especially since the python involved was not much larger than a carpet python. All my enclosures are now locked with padlocks and my cages are set up high away with repti hand tubs on each even my first male stimmie who is as gentle and docile as a lamb is now securely locked away from my 3 years olds inquisitive hands.

It's not like Australian Zoo isn't known for doing stunts like this to gain attention.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back