Npws Ballot 'rescues'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kittycat17

Reaction score
Hey guys I acquired 2 coastal Carpet pythons from the recent ballot

The smaller one (a male) has mites the poor thing, he's had a shot of ivermectin at the vet and I'm treating his enclosure with mac mite and bathing him daily
I know all I can call him is a coastal but to me he looks a bit like a prossie x Darwin or prossie x

0f36cf8a51373098a90b32cdace484f6.jpg

Now the other one is about 6-7 ft long and sitting at a whooping 7.5kgs, she or he is getting vet checked tommorow but I'm already planning out a diet plan for it. Any suggestions on exercise and diet plans for an extremely overweight coastal (it can't even get Itself out of a tub with ease)
2118bafbb857aaee8d755535656f7234.jpg

e40ce330d723d6962f9a2c89226aa382.jpg

And yes both snakes are getting tested for SV and are under extreme quarantine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a big boy (or girl, lol).

Been leaning towards female has the tiniest little spurs I've ever seen on a large snake (barely visible)
Whilist the smaller male had huge spurs and the tail shape indicated male to me easily but the weight on the larger snake makes that difficult

Nice one kc. The NSW ballot has always intrigued me. I think it's a good thing in it's ability to provide good outcomes for the reptiles concerned.

And I think as long as people adopt the quarantine attitude you have, it's win win.

Quarantine is 100% the best decision any keeper can make, and I don't think 2 yrs is long at all especially if your pets are at risk if you don't
All my new animals (unless I know full history) get quarantined and tested twice preferably before I even allow them on the grass in my backyard

Quarantine is 100% the best decision any keeper can make, and I don't think 2 yrs is long at all especially if your pets are at risk if you don't
All my new animals (unless I know full history) get quarantined and tested twice preferably before I even allow them on the grass in my backyard

Wow. That's a heavy quarantine - however, quite necessary for wild snakes (assuming that the ballot usually is from wild snakes - usually escaped pets)!

Good job!

We have an auction style system here in SA run by National Parks.

Yup that's what happens in NSW, there all seized and police raid animals that they put in a ballot for keepers in the local community to put there name down for
You usually only get 1 but I was one of the last ones there in the arvo and they had the huge snake in a bag and no one would take it coz it was so large, I felt sorry for it
And it's a big puppy dog so far :)

Wow. That's a heavy quarantine - however, quite necessary for wild snakes (assuming that the ballot usually is from wild snakes - usually escaped pets)!

Good job!

It's recommended for 2-3 yrs for sunshine and borna virus
I know for a fact that a snakes that tested positive for borna virus or sunshine virus 18 mths ago might still not have started showing symptoms yet
Which is honestly scary

I scored a big coastal in a ballot some months ago,she is about 7' and has been quarantined on the back verandah.Had her vet checked straight away but came up with a clean bill of health.
I am very surprised the NPWS gave you a snake with problems,they don't usually release them like that!
Although they don't always give you the facts,I asked the ranger who rang me how big the pythons were and was told "under 2 metres" . I would have taken the shinglebacks if I'd known how big she was but I thought oh well a small snake is fine.Anyway she turned out to be a beautiful placid snake,very easy to handle so it's turned out alright :)

I scored a big coastal in a ballot some months ago,she is about 7' and has been quarantined on the back verandah.Had her vet checked straight away but came up with a clean bill of health.
I am very surprised the NPWS gave you a snake with problems,they don't usually release them like that!
Although they don't always give you the facts,I asked the ranger who rang me how big the pythons were and was told "under 2 metres" . I would have taken the shinglebacks if I'd known how big she was but I thought oh well a small snake is fine.Anyway she turned out to be a beautiful placid snake,very easy to handle so it's turned out alright :)

Yeah I got no details and all the rangers there where terrified to open the bag of the 'big snake' coz they didn't know what it was like (absolutely puppy dog) they made me do it lol

I think they had been treating the one with mites as there wasn't that many on it but the eyes are still a bit puffy I'll never know unfortunately

It's great how people like to rescue these guys and I am glad that NPWS holds these ballots, instead of euthanising the poor animals. Maybe one day they will conduct a similar thing for rescuing exotics seized on raids.

Yeah I got no details and all the rangers there where terrified to open the bag of the 'big snake' coz they didn't know what it was like (absolutely puppy dog) they made me do it lol
the funny thing with mine was I didn't pickup in person,I had another driver who worked in that area to pick up for me and he had NO experience with reptiles at all and the rangers wouldn't touch it but luckily there was a lady who was into snakes there who put the coastal into my bag for him.Luckily I gave him a pillowslip not 1 of my normal bags as the girl was so big she wouldn't have fit in it.

Vic definitely needs to get up to speed. However it should be a national licensing system. Not a state by state thing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah and succesive federal governments have shown how equal they are when it comes to dividing revenue raised from the country as a whole.

sarcasm off/

I'll stick to a state based licence system thanks. :)

Yeah and succesive federal governments have shown how equal they are when it comes to dividing revenue raised from the country as a whole.

sarcasm off/

I'll stick to a state based licence system thanks. :)
We give the other states money anyway whats a few more $$$$$. Just think of the stuff i could keep Wal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well big snake is officially a girl so 2/2 with visually sexing!!
The vet absolutely loved her, we didn't get a single hiss out of her as she was probed and then swabbed for sunshine virus
Such a gentle curious snake

The male I can still see a mite or 2 under his chin so will continue his treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back