Npws Ballot 'rescues'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Robert Johnson at South Penrith vet there all amazing there :)
And nah just warm water :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
try detergent ,it drowns the mites ;) or else wipe the python down with olive oil,same result,
when I say detergent I'm talking about dishwashing liquid,it seems to get under the scales without leaving air gaps

Last edited:
try detergent ,it drowns the mites ;) or else wipe the python down with olive oil,same result,
when I say detergent I'm talking about dishwashing liquid,it seems to get under the scales without leaving air gaps

I've heard to not use both of those and my vet reccomended just water so I'll stick with that :)

A good quality olive oil should be fine to use. It is safe to use in human ears to unclog a blocked ear drum so I assume it wouldn't be harmful to snakes either. You want something that will drown the mites and I don't think water is viscous enough for that.

I've heard to not use both of those and my vet reccomended just water so I'll stick with that :)
you might have been led astray,we followed advice from an OLD snake keeper and it works a treat.
Unfortunately we had mites on 2 occasions and bombed the house with reptile removed of course and bathed the snake in warm water with a little detergent which gets under the scales and problem solved. :)

The male is in a tub with paper towel, he's getting a 15 min soak daily and enclosure sprayed with mac mite whiles he's soaking plus he got a shot of ivermectin on monday

I never recommend oil of any sort on snakes - it makes the skin very water-repellent and can cause difficulty in shedding if the snake is dehydrated. It certainly suffocates mites, but a few drops of dishwashing detergent in the soaking water is essential if you want to drown all mites using this method, otherwise they will survive in trapped air bubbles under and between the scales, and may also have a layer of air over their bodies, like spiders have when underwater. Detergent acts as a wetting agent and the mites will drown very quickly, you don't need much, just 4 or 5 drops in two or three litres of lukewarm water is enough. Hasn't hurt any of my snakes in 40-odd years.

Jamie

I never recommend oil of any sort on snakes - it makes the skin very water-repellent and can cause difficulty in shedding if the snake is dehydrated. It certainly suffocates mites, but a few drops of dishwashing detergent in the soaking water is essential if you want to drown all mites using this method, otherwise they will survive in trapped air bubbles under and between the scales, and may also have a layer of air over their bodies, like spiders have when underwater. Detergent acts as a wetting agent and the mites will drown very quickly, you don't need much, just 4 or 5 drops in two or three litres of lukewarm water is enough. Hasn't hurt any of my snakes in 40-odd years.

Jamie

He seems to be clean at the moment :) but will be treating him again soon

you don't register for the ballot,if you hold a license you will be automatically entered if you are in the area where the held animals are.I have only been offered twice in more than 10 years of holding a license.

My friend lived near me and never got an email (and yes she is licenced :) ) she emailed them and got herself on the list and has been emailed twice since :)

My friend lived near me and never got an email (and yes she is licenced :) ) she emailed them and got herself on the list and has been emailed twice since :)

must be pretty random then,maybe they draw your name out of a hat? I have never asked to be put in a ballot but am happy to have been included

Would be nice if the RSPCA in Vic had an adoption system like Qld does.

**** UPDATE GUYS*****

Both snakes tested negative for SV yay!!!! I will retest in 6 mths though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back