Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyTheSnake

Reaction score
I am so disappointed in NPWS. A person came into my shop, and knows that I keep reptiles. He has told me that a mate of his has some diamond hatchies and they need homes.

Now, I haven't seen him this week, and I don't know if his "mate" is licenced or not. I talked to NPWS, and asked that if this person is not licenced, is there a way that the hatchies can be put on a licence somehow.

According to NPWS, there is no way what so ever that these snakes can be put on a licence, and all hatchies will be euthanized. I asked if they could not be adopted out because I am sure there are people like me that would rather give them a caring home instead of euthanizing. But, sadly, no!!

How rotten is that?? They'd rather kill them!! I know there are reasons behind their decisions, but I don't like it. And you as my fellow addicts, are kind enough to listen to my rantings!

Thanks.

sad, sure there must be some reason but if they are going to people with a licence then i cant really see a problem......apaprt from encouraging people without licences....

I am so disappointed in NPWS. A person came into my shop, and knows that I keep reptiles. He has told me that a mate of his has some diamond hatchies and they need homes.

Now, I haven't seen him this week, and I don't know if his "mate" is licenced or not. I talked to NPWS, and asked that if this person is not licenced, is there a way that the hatchies can be put on a licence somehow.

According to NPWS, there is no way what so ever that these snakes can be put on a licence, and all hatchies will be euthanized. I asked if they could not be adopted out because I am sure there are people like me that would rather give them a caring home instead of euthanizing. But, sadly, no!!

How rotten is that?? They'd rather kill them!! I know there are reasons behind their decisions, but I don't like it. And you as my fellow addicts, are kind enough to listen to my rantings!

Thanks.

No offence intended, but I don't believe this would be true, i don't think you have all the facts straight. JMO

If this is the case, find a breeder who is breeding diamonds this year, looks like they will be having 20 eggs rather than 15 if you get the picture.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Parks services are very fond of 'being seen to be doing something'. It doesn't matter if what they are doing is effective, and they don't really care about whether their actions are in the best interests of the animals and ecosystems in their care.

I have very little time for Parks services, whatever their designation in your home state.

Native animals usually end up being given out via a ballot or through the AHS members, only exotics get the chop

I was about to mention the ballot. There was a snake on the recent NPWS ballot I think. Can't see how that would be any different to the friend of a friends hatchies.

I can see why they say that, ppl could easily just get heaps of illegally collected herps into the system. Telling ppl they will be killed acts as a deterant. I could be way off they probably have a really stupid reason.

You're mates talking crap imo.

Though... From QPWS point of view... PROVE they are not wild caught... How does QPWS know for sure that the parents were NOT wild caught?

Charlie, any basis to that comment?

Okay.. let us clear a few things up shall we...

1. He's not my 'mate'. I couldn't even tell you his name... but I'm sure I will find out in due course.

2. No offence intended to you either MrBredli, but I spoke to NPWS today before I posted this thread, and this is what the lady on the phone told me. When I asked her why they would want to kill perfectly good babies, and not give them or sell them to licenced people who would love to care for them, she actually said pretty much what Cris said. She told me that it would lead to more people dealing in animals 'off licence'. So they euthanize any illegally obtained animals. If you would like the number, I can give it to you and you can ask them yourself.

So.. if this 'mate' turns up with some diamonds, I'll be sure to let you all know what happens to the little ones.

By the way ... Dustin..... are you breeding any diamonds this year?? :D:D:D:D:D

I'd say either the lady was just saying that, as suggested above, or she doesn't actually know what she is talking about. The fact she told you that they kill all illegally obtained animals shows that, as that is simply not the case.

Perhaps Peter Buckley could confirm the actual process for us?

Sounds like a plan to me. I would like to see these little babies (yes.. if they exist) have good homes, and if there is someone that I can talk to that will ensure this happens, then please let me know. :)

I can understand them trying to stop people catching wilds and then breeding and selling.... but I don't think it's fair that the babies should have to die.

I can see why they say that, ppl could easily just get heaps of illegally collected herps into the system.

To be honest, is that really a problem? Surely amateur herpetologists taking a few hundred specimens from the wild each year would be much less damaging to the species than destruction of their natural habitat. Which of the two should the parks services be focusing on?

Charlie, any basis to that comment?

I've seen the results of much of their work, and worked closely with them last year during the December bushfires. I've seen the tracts of national park they've locked up and failed to maintain, that are now choked with blackberries and over-run with feral animals, but who cares? The voting public in the cities can rest easy knowing their 'pristine' national parks are preserved.

Basically, the DSE (I can't really comment for the parks services in other states) is just another government department. They don't care about serving the best interests of the ecosystems in their care, so long as they don't upset the voters enough to lose their jobs.

Now, this isn't to say many of the DSE employees I've met aren't well meaning, motivated people. But the rules and regulations their superiors have in place aren't the best way to preserve and support our states plants and wildlife. They are the best way to make the city living voters think it's being done, without upsetting the big business responsible for the destruction of natural habitat.

I'm not saying that the NPWS would euthanize the pythons in question. Just that I would not be surprised if such a thoughtless policy was in place.

Okay.. lets say this is the policy that they have in place... how do we go about getting it changed? Or do we just sit back and let it happen, throw our hands in the air and say "oh well, that's just the way it is and there's nothing we can do about it"

Surely there is something that can be done!

To be honest, is that really a problem? Surely amateur herpetologists taking a few hundred specimens from the wild each year would be much less damaging to the species than destruction of their natural habitat. Which of the two should the parks services be focusing on?

Not a problem at all IMO, i dont make the laws. I personally think they should have a system set up to allow wild catching similar to what they have in WA in all states. If it is done correctly it will have absolutely no impact at all.

Not a problem at all IMO, i dont make the laws. I personally think they should have a system set up to allow wild catching similar to what they have in WA in all states. If it is done correctly it will have absolutely no impact at all.

I would almost go so far as to say that encouraging amateur herpetologists to (responsibly, of course) go out into the field to wild catch pythons would be beneficial in terms of identifying and preserving their natural habitats. The more people who are out there and know what is going on, the better chance we have of identifying and minimising any problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back