NPWS Lizard Ballot

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stretch

Reaction score
I just got the call, I have a Water Dragon, WOOHOOO.
Apparently they had more reptiles than people. I may even bet a blue tongue too.

Have the weekend to get my enclosure ready for my new addition!

Congrats Sue!! That is great.
Aparently only 17 people registered for the freebies so I wondered if any APS-ers would get lucky!

Can't wait for the pics!

I am pretty excited I have to say. I honestly thought 'Fat Chance' when I registered. I have been so lucky of late.

Have to drive and pick it up on Monday. Will have to organise childcare and everything. Anyone want me to pop in for coffee on the way home?

Sue

Thanks guys :)

I certainly do feel lucky! I have had more luck these last few months in some regards than I feel I deserve! two snakes and possibly two lizards.

They (NPWS) said that they may have a blue tongue too if I want it. Won't know til Monday I guess.

I am getting quite excited about my fast growing collection! That will be two childrens (providing Maxy shows his face..) two beardies, a water dragon and a blue tongue. And maybe...just maybe....one day a Bredl..

hehehehe

That brings up something I was wondering about. How does that get logged in your paperwork and stuff when you have a snake get loose? Are there any repercussions? Not that it affects me, but I am just curious.

We have codes that have to be entered every time a reptile comes in and out of our collections.

There is actually a code for Escaped.....
My only thing is that if you sign your snake off as Escaped there is no provision for Found

Sue

we got 2 blue tongues in the ballot as well Sue, I think it is a great system to ballot confiscated animals in this way, it makes it fairly equitable, if they were distributed to groups, I think it could be a fairly despotic situation

Did you guys hear how these animals came about?
Pinched from the wild and sold to pet shops....They caught the guy through the pet shops.

Something to do with not having historys on them. Probably to do with not knowing how long they had been in captivity, not knowing if any were results of breeding from wild reptiles, not knowing if they might have diseases from the way they were kept and not wanting to introduce possible diseases into the habitat (its a condition of taking these reptiles that you keep the seperated from others in your collection for at least 12 months and that you are to keep them in your possession for at least 6 months)

From the horses mouth Jeff Hardys (From the AustHerps site):
"There is no provenance information so they cannot be released into the wild. They are not required for any licensed exhibit, so rather than
euthanase them, they will be given away by a transparent and
equitable method (by ballot) to interested private keepers."

I have to say that it is a good thing that NPWS are doing. They could easily have sold the reptiles to keepers as other states do. That they just wanted to get them to the keepers asap is a good thing, it shows that they have the reptiles best interests in mind.

It would have been even better if they could have been released back into the wild though

I agree, I think NSWPW are doing a good thing!

All wild native animals when taken from the wild for any reason - care, rehab relocation whatever must be released within a 20km radius of where they were taken from. For some animals (eg. frogs) the area is much smaller (frogs should be released within 20m if possible.)
This is for two reasons:
1) Genetics. Local populations often have a diferent gene pool (not the right wording but can't think of how to say it) to other areas. Also an animal from one area may be a cross with another species(?) eg a beardie from up here could be a barbata x vittie. It is important to preserve these genetics as much as possible and as such, the good of the many must come before the good of the few and the animals cannot be released if their native location is not known.
2) Disease. Native and exotic diseases are established in diferent native populations. It is important that we do not facilitate the spread of these diseases any more than possible. A prime example is Chytrid in frogs. This wipes out almost all the frogs in an area once established. That is why wildlife organisations do not relocate frogs under any circumstances (not just coz of this once disease though)
So NPWS, not knowing where these rep's are from have decided to put them into the captive system, thus renewing the genetics in the system and saving the animals from euthenasia. You gotta remember that RK licences have only been around a short time and all the animals that we all keep are the descendents of once wild animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back