Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
isnt the rule 20% of the snakes length on the shorter dimension and 50% on the longer dimension?

I dont think so.

How I read it, it will go like this:
Pygmy pythons according to Table A6 are a Cat A animal.
According to Table 2 one Cat A animal after 18 months of age will require an area of 0.15m2.
So of this area of 0.15m2, the shortest side cant be less than 20% of the total length of the biggest snake (Standard 4.3.1.1).
If you keep more than 2 in the cage, you will have to add 50% to the 0.15m2, three snakes add 70% (Standard 4.3.1.5).

So after the 18 months of age it goes into an adult cage size (Standard 4.3.1.4), to be honest I dont know why Appendix B was added to document, so far I cant see any references to it.

I dont think so.

How I read it, it will go like this:
Pygmy pythons according to Table A6 are a Cat A animal.
According to Table 2 one Cat A animal after 18 months of age will require an area of 0.15m2.
So of this area of 0.15m2, the shortest side cant be less than 20% of the total length of the biggest snake (Standard 4.3.1.1).
If you keep more than 2 in the cage, you will have to add 50% to the 0.15m2, three snakes add 70% (Standard 4.3.1.5).

So after the 18 months of age it goes into an adult cage size (Standard 4.3.1.4), to be honest I dont know why Appendix B was added to document, so far I cant see any references to it.

They're going to have to give a maths lesson with every license issued and renewed.

I read that as:
If billy has 3 apples and tom has 7 apples then monkeys dont eat burgers at easter in the barn equals pumpkin seed :p

I read that as:
If billy has 3 apples and tom has 7 apples then monkeys dont eat burgers at easter in the barn equals pumpkin seed :p
=bECS= you forgot something... and the rooster crows when meat pies are kept at room temperature. ;) Clear as mud...

After reading through the COP it seems 'Floor Space' could be made up by shelving. There is no definition under 2.2 for floor space and the standard understanding of floor space is the total combined floor area, i.e a mezzanine adds to the total floor space in a building. Therefore, an enclosure which doesn't meet the requirements could be modified by adding a shelf. This could still easily satisfy 4.3.1.1 regarding the shortest floor dimension mnot being less than 20% of the total length of the largest snake being housed.

After reading through the COP it seems 'Floor Space' could be made up by shelving. There is no definition under 2.2 for floor space and the standard understanding of floor space is the total combined floor area, i.e a mezzanine adds to the total floor space in a building. Therefore, an enclosure which doesn't meet the requirements could be modified by adding a shelf. This could still easily satisfy 4.3.1.1 regarding the shortest floor dimension mnot being less than 20% of the total length of the largest snake being housed.

Unfortunately not. Underneath each of the tables it says:
"The minimum area refers to the size of the enclosure measured externally and does not include additional surfaces within the enclosure such as shelves."

Unfortunately not. Underneath each of the tables it says:
"The minimum area refers to the size of the enclosure measured externally and does not include additional surfaces within the enclosure such as shelves."

Oops, missed that bit. Damn!

actually, i have upside down terracotta saucers in all the cages, 2 in the bigger ones. i mist them every night till theres a good puddle on each, and they dry out during the day so they do get fresh water daily.

i see the geckos using them quite often, which i didnt expect, but they do...

(it was actually a pic u posted of ur amyae drinking from a bowl that insipred me to try it,...)

I don't believe having water the night before would satisfy their prosecutable standards. We both know they only need to be sprayed.
Mine was drinking from the bowl because i had just sprayed it.

so theres some ridiculous stuff and quite a bit of confusing stuff in there too,....yes, i will need to make some changes, (not with minimum sizes), but with water bowls, substrates they can totally bury themselves in etc,...

the part i was hoping to see this change was the people who are dying to fill racks so they have more animals than their aps friends,....for the rest i'll have to jump thru hoops like the rest of you.

so theres some ridiculous stuff and quite a bit of confusing stuff in there too,....yes, i will need to make some changes, (not with minimum sizes), but with water bowls, substrates they can totally bury themselves in etc,...

the part i was hoping to see this change was the people who are dying to fill racks so they have more animals than their aps friends,....for the rest i'll have to jump thru hoops like the rest of you.

geez let it go already Chris :) I feel like setting up more racks just cause you are so against them!
Get your own animals up to code THEN worry about what other people do, if that's your thing in life...

You really should think before you post... What's with you and saying "people who are dying to fill racks"? People don't use racks so they can dump multiple amounts of reptiles in the one space...

There are plenty of pros for using racks, and even with these new laws, there are still plenty of rack systems that can legally hold many species of reptile. I for one use racks (as well as enclosures) and don't need to change anything according to this COP.

Get off your high horse and worry about yourself.

You really should think before you post... What's with you and saying "people who are dying to fill racks"? People don't use racks so they can dump multiple amounts of reptiles in the one space...

There are plenty of pros for using racks, and even with these new laws, there are still plenty of rack systems that can legally hold many species of reptile. I for one use racks (as well as enclosures) and don't need to change anything according to this COP.

We are all at different levels in the hobby. Some are better informed than others. When you look at breeders like Brian from snake bytes it seems there is little to worry about with the right rack systems. Chris is merely applying her anthropomorphic views on the subject...

geez let it go already Chris :) I feel like setting up more racks just cause you are so against them!
Get your own animals up to code THEN worry about what other people do, if that's your thing in life...

i believe im allowed to respond to comments directed at me,... :p

read thru the rack threads and i promise you will see plenty of people saying they cant wait till they have enough snakes to fill racks.

i agree racks have a place, but not as intended permanent houseing for all their animals.

i believe im allowed to respond to comments directed at me,... :p
The comment you made about APS users trying to fill racks to have more animals than other members of this site is a fictitious statement at best. It might be important to you how many animals you keep compared to the rest of us. But it means nothing to me. I use racks and you have no idea how many snakes I keep and you never will..... Stick to the facts and everyone is happy.

PS.. if people were liking your posts you would obviously have some support. But it seems the opposite is happening at present.

We are all at different levels in the hobby. Some are better informed than others. When you look at breeders like Brian from snake bytes it seems there is little to worry about with the right rack systems. Chris is merely applying her anthropomorphic views on the subject...

lol, when did i say snakes need cuddles? :p

anyway, muffins are ready, i have work to do, i'll check back in later. :p

read thru the rack threads and i promise you will see plenty of people saying they cant wait till they have enough snakes to fill racks.

i agree racks have a place, but not as intended permanent houseing for all their animals.

What about breeders? You can't honestly expect them to house every herp in its own separate fancy enclosure. I think you are forgetting that a snakes favourite place in the wild is lodged inside a rock.

What about breeders? You can't honestly expect them to house every herp in its own separate fancy enclosure. I think you are forgetting that a snakes favourite place in the wild is lodged inside a rock.

You are assuming that this person has experience with wild herpetofauna? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back