NSW shops gets the go ahead

Discussion in 'Reptile News' started by Amazing Amazon, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchy88

Dutchy88 Well-Known Member

yeh defently but to get into this hobby ya gotta research or no somebody that's into it so there's a bit of commitment to the cause having them reataly available at pet shops people don't have to put as much effort into getting there hands on them as what we have to at the moment

2. Zipidee

Zipidee Active Member

I used to work in the pet industry - a long time ago - and other comments are spot on: there are dodgy operators and great ones. Bit it's the same with breeders - not members of this Forum of course! In any case, when I was in the industry I also bred birds. And I wouldn't buy my animals from the pet store because I want to talk to the breeder about genetics and husbandry issues etc etc. Pet store staff won't be able to do that with every animal in the collection - it's too hard. So if you want a green budgie for the kids - pet store. Ditto for a basic herp. But if you want to breed or more specific information about the animal you are buying - and let's face it: a lot of reptiles are expensive and a big investment - you will still need to go to a breeder.

3. Varanoidea

Varanoidea Well-Known Member

I doubt the question of petshop owners knowing how is the problem, it's the fact that they wont to save money. One can have knowledge without responsibility.

4. Crazycow232

Crazycow232 Active Member

I guess i will be making few trips to my local pet shop in the near future:)

5. Snowman

Snowman Guest

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I've met heaps of people on the wa reptile forum who got their first snakes from pet stores. And they are doing fine.....many with the simple advice given at the store.

6. Dutchy88

Yeh no doubt about it but there's just as many people that don't do any of the proper research or get the right advice what I'm saying is that with the current laws in NSW you have to really commit to getting a reptile its something you think about and research and apply for lisences ect being in pet shops anyone who is in there can just go I like the look of that I'm getting one there's no real thought or effort into it therefore in my opinion not a lot of thought or commitment goes into it

7. Snowman

Snowman Guest

Bet you $1000 I can find at least two threads on APS where a NSW keeper got a snake and had no idea how to look after it.
    I see what you are saying, but I dont think it makes much difference. Just like I dont think it makes much difference if you get a license or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  8. jacorin

jacorin Well-Known Member

i didnt dutchy so ur wrong with me..... a friend of mine had snakes,and i thought i'd like one too,so i paid for a licence and bought a stimmie off wokka...simple straight forward...and there's a lot more like me out there

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  9. Dutchy88

I bet you could to. But we live in a society where every one wants everything now now now and its at our finger tips as it stands at the moment with reptiles if you are interested in it you have to research, find a breeder ect having some 16 year old kid who's worked at the pet shop a week saying ' yeh you just do this this and this and it will be fine' is not enough that's obviously not the case with every pet shop but you see my point just because its there and easy available doesn't mean its a simple pet as you and I both know but that's how people will see it

10. Jlaw0786

Jlaw0786 Not so new Member

Without naming names, I know at least 3 reptile breeders in my area that are fairly well known all of which attended the previous expos at castle hill and Penrith, anyway I know for a fact that all these "breeders" pay money to people they know to collect reptiles from the wild and 2 of these guys do it themselves aswell, they then sell these reptiles to people that don't have a licence or they put them on licence and sell them "legit" trust me its easy to do there's many loopholes and I've seen it done many times.. What I am saying is that if there is reputable breeders out there that feel the need to earn some extra ca$h by getting people to take from the wild what's going to stop a lot of these pet shop owners from doing the same thing, after all you can't collect puppies and kittens from the wild to earn some extra ca$h can you!!

11. Dutchy88

I bet you could to. But we live in a society where every one wants everything now now now and its at our finger tips as it stands at the moment with reptiles if you are interested in it you have to research, find a breeder ect having some 16 year old kid who's worked at the pet shop a week saying ' yeh you just do this this and this and it will be fine' is not enough that's obviously not the case with every pet shop but you see my point just because its there and easy available doesn't mean its a simple pet as you and I both know but that's how people will see it. It's like when finding nemo came out and everyone wanted clown fish because they were new and cool I put money on 70% of people no longer own those fish because once they realise how hard tropical fish are to look after its all so hard

12. Wally

Wally Subscriber Subscriber

You can get a reptile licence online almost instantaneously in NSW.

13. Dutchy88

Excatly

14. dr_juggalo

dr_juggalo Not so new Member

My partner did exactly that she had no idea but we went to the expo last weekend in newcastle got a license in 5 minutes then got a snake. Main reason I joined this forum is because I want to know how to take care of it properly

15. Dutchy88

thats good I'm not picking on people that are keen o getting in on it but pet shop expose the impulse buy I mean you got a license in 5 min and bought a snake you might have been thinking about it for awhile I can't judge ya on that but its impulse buys that will damage the hobby

16. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

at least these stores are owned by reptile keeper/breeders,but I'm not sure about others

17. Varanoidea

Varanoidea Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we can't do anything about it no matter how many issues are brought up...

18. FAY

FAY Guest

The government better build another RSPCA facility to house unwanted reptiles :)

19. Ramsayi

Ramsayi Very Well-Known Member APS Veteran

They will operate under a different set of rules and from what I understand a different gubbermint department (DPI) will oversee them.

20. hugsta

hugsta Almost Legendary

So how do you know dr_juggalo didn't impulse buy..?? Not saying he did by any means, but what your saying contradicts yourself. Because Jo Bloggs goes to a Bills Pet Shop, gets his licence and buys a reptile, he's impulse buying, but our mate here went to the reptile show and did exactly the same thing, but that's ok..?? I would rather see it made much harder for everyone to buy a cat as the destruction they cause on our native wildlife, they would kill more animals in a year then any possible reptile owner.

The profit margins made by pet shops will vary, it may seem like a large profit margin from a budgie worth $6 up to $25+, but how much time and effort is involved in selling it, it probably costs them more money to keep the thing, but they make the $$ on the accessories when they sell a cage, feed etc etc. It's not like they would buy a snake for $600 and sell it for $2500. The margin is all relevant to cost. I am sure some pet shops will be dearer, but it is probably matched with service in most circumstances.

Fay, there enough reptiles being handed in as it is, probably not going to make that much difference IMO. Being in pet shops also gives people a place to take it back to if they decide they no longer want it and I am sure there will plenty of breeders willing to put their hand up for free animals.

Daz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.