Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr feegle

Reaction score
When if ever do you think we will see oenpelli pythons in captivity????

no idea but would like to know so heres a free bump...

why arnt they in captivit does any one have any info on these fasanating snakes

I don't see why they wouldn't. It's not like people don't own large snakes in Australia (scrub pythons). Maybe it's like pygmy pythons, and they just aren't common enough for a lot of people to own. Hopefully, they'll be like rough-scaled pythons, and they'll become more popular.

But still, someone on this site has to own one.

I thought that because they are from the oenpelli in the NT where the traditional land holders have the right to disallow people's attempts to legally collect a few on pemit to be kept as captives.

I could be totally wrong though.

they are only found in oenpelli which is owned by the natives so impossible to get collection permits

If you read Keeping and Breeding Australian Reptiles (the new book). The breeding and husbandry is covered by Peter in there!

ok, so therefore cant we assume that he has at least a couple?

I would assume so. I don't think I'd own one (too big for my small house), but they are beautiful snakes.

The animals Peter owned were confiscated - there are absolutely 100% definitely no Oenpelli Pythons in private captive collections.

if one was found outside onenpelli, arguebly it would be outside of the native land and collectable?

and if i find my hard headed women... i know the rest of my life will be blessed

they are pretty crappy looking anyway.
the territory wildlife park has the ones that were confiscated and as yet have had no success breeding them maybe they should have left them with peter.

you just never know what might happen in the future. The albino carpet was never going to leave the Territory wildlife park either and look what eventually happened with her. 15 years ago no one had even seen a rough scaled python let alone dreamt of keeping one. You can never say never, just needs someone to be able to pull the right strings and you could one day see them in captivity.

you may not think they look any good i think they are stunning basicly a massive carpet python i love large boids and australia dosent have many availible pretty much olives and scrubs it would be great to see oenpellis establish in captive collections i would spend a great deal of time space and effort on such an endevour, the other sppcies id love to see hit captivity especially with the fact im stuck in perth which means no scrubs and almost no olives is pilbara olives they naturally get larger then normal olives and i think they are awsum and would be good to see them powering along in captivity especially since theyre wild populations dwindle because of humans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back