Oenpelli update

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthy

Reaction score
Any news or updates on the Oenpelli python? I thoroughly enjoyed the last thread and vigorous discussion regarding this mysterious snake, it's habitat, feeding habits and vulnerability. I can't wait for some of the big players out there to get hold of some animals and breed them, thus ensuring the survival of the species.

i would go well out of the way to own some of these well over any morph always wanted some havent herd any credible evidence to suggest they will be availible NT government has stonewalled theyre legal collection for years

Oh have they really?

Well i don't like letting cats out of their bags, we've all seen the damage they can do to the native wildlife!

But i will tell you that the NT gov has not 'stone walled' their collection for years.

Whoops, lmao, got you mixed up with another poster. But seriously... what do you know of captive oenpellis?? *shines lamp*

I read somewhere...wish I remember where...that one respected breeder (I think it was Simon K) actually had a collection of these and successfully bred them...but they were taken away by the government.

In this same story I thought that there was also some sensitive cultural issues behind this. This python is one held sacred by the traditional owners and only found in Arnhem Land and they dont want them released elsewhere.

Whoooaaaahhh! Who have you got this information from? What have you based your claims on?

your thinking of peter krauss, and yes because they are on aborigional sacred land they wont allow the collection of them for the hobby, pitty you can get afew of the ones that get eaten by the natives every year

your thinking of peter krauss, and yes because they are on aborigional sacred land they wont allow the collection of them for the hobby, pitty you can get afew of the ones that get eaten by the natives every year

Snake on a barbie.... wonder if it actually does taste like chicken....

aboriginal people are alloud to consume any animal that is in an aboriginal reserve regardless of its threatened status........ as far as permits i belive that there have been more then one person over the last 20 years that would have attempted to get oenpelli's established in captive collections legally anyway.....

if there was no trouble aquiring permits to take them then im sure they would have been availible ages ago i dont live in the NT so i have not attempted to keep up with what is happening with the establishment of them in captivity

The above bold is kind of what i was elluding to.

If you don't know about this stuff it's best not to talk about it as if you do. Your comments are assumptions on a tiny bit of information which is general knowledge ie, they exist on Indigenous land so they must be sacred, there are none in captivity (which isn't true) so collection permits must be unobtainable and Indigenous people can eat native fauna so they must eat nawarran on a regular basis.

If you don't know for sure, it's best not make comments like the ones you have.

Don't let me kill the conversation... Just the misinformation. Something about bat caves and water?

Hey, Gordo

What's with the secrecy? Why not just say what you know?

Ha, ha, ha, that reminds me the albino scrubby thread. "Secretive Gordo", you're going to cop it now. :D:D:D Oh and don't forget to post some pics otherwise no one is going to believe you.

Have a nice day

Ha, ha, ha, that reminds me the albino scrubby thread. "Secretive Gordo", you're going to cop it now. :D:D:D Oh and don't forget to post some pics otherwise no one is going to believe you.

Have a nice day

Oh, I didn't mean to start another one down that path - I figured whatever Gordo knows is probably not rumours on a grapevine as much as "government condoned" or something. I didn't think it would have to do with breeders' privacy etc. like you were getting flamed for, M :D

Never underestimate the APS community's demands. Pictorial documentation is a must. LOL
Have go away now, I am sure when I get back there will be some interesting reading here unless Gordo goes into hiding.

Cats and bags Kristy! Cats and bags.

I don't think i'm being that secretive at all. I know that the NT gov will give interfere/collection permits for any species of protected wildlife if the right criterea is met. I know there are some other things going on like research etc but i don't know the full story they aren't my stories to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back