Oh NO.....Max has escaped

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe that if Cleo is eating that often that she'd have the room to eat another snake of similar size, but Unless Max is in the log I can't see what else could have happened.

I asked this group a while ago about putting them together, and I got one reply saying dont but not because of cannibalism and a heap saying go for it. Noone said anything about them eating each other...

I have to say though that I really don't think that is what happened. Cleo did not get bigger, and I am assuming she would have with a large fuzzy and a hatcling inside of her! Surely if it were the case, then Max would have to have been bundled up inside of her making her quite a bit larger in fact when coiled up he would have been the size of a few fuzzies. It woulds have been noticeable.

She was back to her skinny self two days after they went in together and ate another fuzzy.

Now I know that they can eat each other as babies, I will keep them seperate when (being positive!) Max comes back

I tend to agree with you Stretch - I'm sure that Cleo would have been noticably bigger if she had eaten Max.

Which leaves three alternatives.

Escape from what sound like Colditz - prety difficult.
Removed by human hands.
Still in there - in the log.

Baffling to say the least. I do hope he turns up.

I know how you feel Sue I could of died when my Ferret ran away.

I got him back 4 days later I hope you have the same luck Sue.

Well, we can safely remove the eating thing, and also the human hands, The kids were away from Friday (day Max went in) til Monday (Found him gone on Sunday), and now the log can be removed. We just hacked all the way through it.

As far as escaping goes, it would have been near impossible for him to get out of the tank, but now I am wondering if he got out of the container he was in BEFORE I put him in the tank. Here is my reasoning:

On Thursday night Max had a handling session. Coped pretty well and then was put back in the tupperware container by my husband (Striking point number one). I am sure that I saw him in the container Friday morning, though now I am not sure if it was Thursday (been pondering on this alot, so am now second guessing myself).

When I put Max and Cleo together, I put them in at the same time, Cleo had just been fed a large fuzzy and Max was 'still' in the tupperware box. I took the lid off of the tupperware box and assumed that Max was still in there. The newspaper in the box was lumpy, he sleeps under it (Dont they all!) so I just then shut the lid and kept an eye on the tank. Watiing to see if they were going to play fisty cuffs.

So...on Saturday I check in the tank more closely, see that the tupperware container is empty, and have a little prod around the cage. I found Cleo, and due to the newspaper lumpage further past Cleo assumed that Max was further up (the newspaper usually sits flat in the tank).

Well On sunday I wanted to try Max again with some food. He has been a bit hard to feed, probably due to his moving. This is when I went on a full scale search for Max pulling stuff out left right and centre. I of course checked everything that I took out of the tank (plastic plants, etc) before putting it down, I do that everytime I am unsure of someones whereabouts...And then I discovered him gone.

Now...thinking back, it may have been that he escaped BEFORE going in, which is a possibility and one I am thinking is more of the case.

Chris put Max back on Thursday night and so it is possible that all of the corners may not have been pushed down securely?

Argh....It is so frustrating. To have gone through so much to get Maxy, to have this happen. I feel like I am fated to permanent misery.

You guys must be wondering why you bothered nominating me to get Max in the first place.

I wouldn't give up yet. there's still a good chance that he's around the house. Fingers crossed :wink:

Keep searching stretchy babe, don't give up yet! If you have a small enclosure with a basking lamp put that on the floor somewhere with the doors open and hope he heat seeks overnight. If you don't just set a basking lamp up in a table lamp or something and put something like a rock or a housebrick, (something that will absorb the heat), under it and keep those fingers crossed! I've got everything crossed for you here Sue, well, nearly everything :) GOOD LUCK!!

du u have a fluroescent lights in your tank because l had to jungles that l thought escaped when l pulled the house apart and the ducted heating l went back to the tank to se one of the buggers coming out of were the wires are lm sure lf u have light in there u have cheaked
and l think cannablism is out of the question one has to be a fair size bigger that the other

I have to sockets in the tank, one for a bulb and one for a heat lamp. I did check all around these when I couldnt find max, but alas he was not there.

I will keep my fingers crossed. We brained a pinkie last night and left it in the middle of the lounge room, but nothing.

I have a heat mat on the floor in the a covered corver of the room too. It has a couple of hide spots on it (Its big).

I hope he does turn up. He needs to be fed, that is my primary concern.

If he's hungry the pinkie idea is the best one to follow, unless of course he went and found himself a mousy nest :) Keep up with the heat and the food stretchy, fingers crossed for ya hon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back