Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take good advice from the experienced guys who have posted and never keep them together, it's just not work the risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps you could try it again in a few more years? what do you mean.

Sorry it wasn't directed at you.It was a shot at a few 'experienced keepers' who in the past have written that it is ok to keep pythons together provided you have a good understanding of the animals involved and keep your eye on them.Of course it is a fallacy as no one can keep an eye on them 24/7 plus the fact that has already been mentioned that by nature they are solitary animals and are opportunistic feeders.

I would never house 2 snakes together however, when the public see reptile parks/ animal parks housing pythons together, owners will naturally think that if they can do it, so can I.
there is one near my place that have several pythons plus lizards in the one enclosure .

and when they lose one, you think you'll know about it?

I think this thread has run its course... If people still think they r correct by housing 2 snakes together ( long term) then maybe they should start a worm farm or ant nests?? ;)

I do agree all my python are now living apart but i have been told by a number of vets and experienced keepers that it is ok to house python together even after what has happened. after having to fight to get them apart it is a scary thing to have happen to any keeper i love reptiles and this was not fun for me. I WILL NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE AGAIN....

Since I started keeping pairs many years ago I have never housed together except when pairing for breeding. I made this decision after lot of reading and discussions with a couple of keepers with 15+ years of keeping and breeding experience of multiple species.

You have to ask yourself what advice will you use for your keeping decisions? The long term large collection multi species keepers who pretty much unanimously say "NO not advisable" or the couple of species keeper with less experience that says "she'll be right mate put them together I haven't had a problem".

Stuart

Don't listen to vets who have never kept snakes in their lives, and I know of no "experienced" keeper who would suggest to house them together except for breeding.
The trouble is what is an experienced keeper. For me it would be someone who has kept way over 10 species over say 10 years plus, definitely not someone who has kept a few snakes 4 to 6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back