Olive House

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Plans are underway for Clarice's home.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I'd love to get some feedback on my design.
Very similar to my other enclosures, but 2 front removable pannels, as one piece would be too heavy, and with two pannels there is a little more strength. Question though, will these pannels, locked into position top, and pegs construction below with safety glass be strong enough to cope with an adult olive?

2 ceramics in the ceiling, and at point 'a' another ceramic around which I would get a hot box. How big should I make the hot box and the platform for her to sit in above it? ...and should I have the box ventilated so heat rise up to her? Does this seem like enough heating for this space?

Also, some may say that this is a lot of height for an Olive, but given sturdy branches, I feel she may appreciate the extra room, and be healthier and happier for it. Any oppinions?

All feedback welcome!
:) Nic

:)

Looks great, Nicole, and if it's anything like the quality of your other enclosures, I'm sure Clarice will love it!

Just one suggestion - what about a heat panel rather than a ceramic at point A (took me a while to find that on the diagram until I went to the larger picture! :lol: )

Apparently, from reading about these they don't have a "hot spot", but rather distribute the same heat output over a larger area, so no one spot is too hot, if you know what I mean.

How thick is the safety glass? Are there any specs on what sort of force is required to break it? I would guess that two smaller panes would be stronger than one large pane (?)

As far as ventilating it so that the heat can circulate: sounds reasonable to me, as long as there is also a cooler spot Clarice can retreat to.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth! :lol:

Safety glass is 6mm,
...and yeah, I hadn't thought about a heat pannel, but that may the go do they put out a fair amount of heat? Knowing that Olives like it warm, and that it is a fairly big space to warm in winter...

PS. the loungeroom is shrinking, we'll have to move if I adopt any more.

:)

From what I've read, the heat panels put out the same heat as anything else - just over a larger area. So, you could buy a 150 watt panel and it would emit the same amount of heat as anything else.

6mm is pretty thick - is that laminated? From what I've seen (shop glass ,etc) even if you throw a brick at it, it will crack but not break.... not that I'm a glass expert, by any means.

Actually, your questions got me interested, so I did a bit of browsing and found an interesting site. Apparently, how the glass is mounted is critical to it's subsequent strength.
http://www.aecinfo.com/pdc/resourcefile/00/27/43/ls06.htm

Hope this helps! :wink:

olive enclosure

hi nicole..
the plans look good..

with the heat pannels, do a little home work on them.i have never used one but have been told some of the ones avalible arnt worth the money your expected to pay. sorry cant even give a brand name.
i will ask around and see if i can find some more detailed info..
cheers paul.

I bought the 50W heat panel from the herp shop. So far, I am finding them great, no problems at all and plenty of heat for my 2x2x4's and my 3x2x2's. I'd suggest that a 150W panel would be great for your big enclosures, especially in conjunction with a hot box. I've only been using them for 3 months or so though so I can't swear on their reliabilty. :)

Mags
Im just wondering if the front of those radiant panels gets hot enough that itll burn the snake? Also the 50watt (270mmx250mm) as you use,do you find that panel would give off a 32 degree temp under 2 foot? EG: if its located on the ceiling of a 2 foot deep enclosure do you think it would give off enough heat to raise 32* at floor level? 50watt sounds very low (when it comes to light globes atleast) is there much diff between the panels 50w and a globes 50w?

They do not get hot enough to give a contact burn. So if you mount them on the ceiling of the enclosure, there is no risk of burns. They cannot be mounted on the floor or side wall near the bottom where the snake may lay against them whilst they are off and then stay there when they switch on.
In my 3x2x2's, they bring the heat up to 30C in the middle of the enclosure with ease, they spend less than 50% of the time switched on during the day usually. The temp on the ground directly underneath gets to about 32-33C, but I like to put a box hide directly under them. This means that the snakes can bask on top of the hide where it is about 36C, thus providing a basking spot.
From my understanding, the heat put out by a 50W heat panel is the same as the heat put out by a 50W light globe. I think that maybe it is just used in a more efficient manner. A light globe tends to spread the heat around alot, getting a fair bit of it down the cool end of the cage and out through the glass on the front. A heat panel puts out 80-95% of its heat straight down. The top surface is insulated, stopping a lot of the heat from going out through the roof of the enclosure. :D

Thanks for all the info on heat pannels! :)

Does anyone have an oppinion to offer on the dimensions for the size of the hot box? And do I ventilate the hot box so that heat moves through it in a convection current type of arrangement?

Cheers, Nic

I found this article on radiant heat panels in SnakeBabes reptile care page.
(I hope you don't mind me posting it Maria)
Safety
Cannot catch on fire.
Radiant panels pose no fire hazard to objects in your cage, nor will they cause plastic to become deformed or melted.
Unlike heat lamps and ceramic heat emitters, radiant panels are safe to the touch with no danger of burning and scarring your reptiles.
Panel distributes heat evenly over entire surface with no hot spots.

Operating Efficiency
Uses up to 80% less electricity than other heating systems, costing only pennies a day to operate.
Radiant heat panels are the only heat source your reptile's habitat will require.
Eliminates the need and expense to continually replace heat lamps or ceramic heat emitters.

Best Heat Source
Replicates the sun's direct radiant warmth from above that reptiles require for proper thermo-regulation.
Automatically creates the proper temperature gradient within the reptile enclosure.
In addition to providing the right type of heat, radiant heat panels also provide added physiological benefits by lowering stress and improving your reptile's circulation, digestion, immune system and overall health.
Radiant heat panels are also great for birds, doghouses and kennels, tortoise enclosures, exotic animals, greenhouses, garages, even complete home heating systems.

Longest Lasting
Tests performed by the University of Maryland showed that these heaters will last up to 35 years and beyond.
Radiant heat panels are made in the USA, UL listed and come with a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer on the entire heater, not just the heating element.

PS
They sound good to me.I will give the 50watt (270mm x 250mm) a go in my 1200x450x600 enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back