Olive or water python??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shannii84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
A friend brought a "olive" last night but to me it looks likes a water python. What do you think?
31b04324-039f-ea83.jpg

I think the head looks like a water python not an olive. Just wanted people's opinions and is there any way I've actually knowing for sure?

31b04324-0405-66cb.jpg

Here is another pic

I think it's a sad day if we have to start asking if we got what the seller advertised.

Yeah absolutely agree with you there. Some sellers are just in it for the money.

It looks like a olive to me. My waters have a more pointed nose and in my waters anyway their lateral colouration fades 3/4 down their sides not underneath like this one.

I think your friend has been done by the seller. With the shape of the head and yellow belly scales I would say the hatchie is a water python and and not an olive. But that's my guess.

I think it's a water python too but just wanted your guys opinions. Is there any way of telling for sure?

Can you get a better photo of the head, perhaps one from a higher angle? I agree with Coppersimon in that my water have a much more pointed snout, I also agree with his colouring comment. I think it is an olive, but more photos should confirm.

i recon its a olive python. do you know the breeder well? do they even breed water pythons? see if they do. that in itself might answer your question

I'll ask if I can some other pics

I don't know anything about where he brought it from sorry.

hybrid? the wife thinks olive i think water we are both proberbly wrong, need a closer look at the head and mayby bellie scales.

Wait till it grows, if it turns into a monster, it is an olive :)

I think it's a water python too but just wanted your guys opinions. Is there any way of telling for sure?

It looks like a Water Python.

There are lots of ways to tell for sure, but if you're not too familiar with them, the very easiest and quickest one is to look at the underside. Olives have cream bellies and the underside of the tail is also cream. Water Pythons have yellow or orange bellies as adults, but as juveniles they can be cream and look pretty similar to an Olive if you're not familiar with them, but the underside of the tail of a Water Python is dark, the same as the top of the tail.

If the tail is all one colour and contrasts sharply with the belly immediately before the tail, it's a Water Python. If the belly and tail are the same colour, and the underside of the tail is paler than the top of the tail, it's an Olive.

easy put a large conatiner full of water if in jumps in and never wants to get out its a water python. my water python spends all day in her tub

Thank you everyone for your help. Really appreciate it. He has taken it to a well known breeder and he has confirmed it as an olive.
Thank you again all :)

ok i just got the bible out ( keeping and breeding australian python edited by mike swan ) to quote the bible it says for the
water python :
the dorsal colouration is without a pattern and may be almost black to olive-brown or olive-grey with a obvious opalescent sheen. the lips and throat a white with a yellow ventral surface, though the subcaudals are dark.

and the olive :
the olive python has a glossy dorsal colouration without a pattern and may be olive or yellowish-brown. the lips and throat are white or cream with a similar coloured ventral surface, thought the subcaudals are slightly darker.

thats exactly how it is written in the bible, hope it helps.
personly think mayby a hybrid

Last edited:
i know im not no professional at this but the body looks like a olive, the head im not too sure about. but i got a water and looks nothing like that, and the water has a pointy head and that distinct rainbow irridecent colour on the back and head, ive seen my fair share of wild olive pythons out here in the pilbara and yeah they look nothing like the above picture, you sure its not a hybrid?

Ask him if he has been bitten yet.
If he has, chances are it's a Water ;)

Seriously though, that's a Water python.

Hey guys i know i have been on the band wagon lately but couldnt help noticing the esposed heat cord throughout the bedding, thats really dangerous stuff!

Your friend needs to get that cord under the enclosure or out of reach of the snake. It gets so hot and even on a thermostat it can cause very bad burns. Even between tiles things go wrong very quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back