Olive or Water Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LysieLou

Reaction score
About three years ago I responded to an add for a "baby aussie python". I purchased him and did some research and came to the conclusion that it was an olive python. Now I am realizing it could be a water python. How can I tell the difference? They look the same to me. Thanks.

Not sure how you can mistake and Olive and a Water python, but in any case, easiest way to tell the difference is look at their bellies. Olives have a cream belly where Water Pythons have a yellow bellow when they are older. Plus, if you end up with a monster, its an Olive.
As juveniles see my quote shamlessly plagerised below
The underside of the tail is distinct in colour from the belly in water pythons, unlike olives. The fine scalation of olives is also distinct compared to the large scales in waters.

Just search APS and you will find this has been asked before but also, upload a pic so we can all be jelous regardless

I got rid of my Water Python as it was purely psychotic, my Olive Python however is a pussycat.

You are right, I should clarify. I actually meant Monster in size vs Psycotic bugger whose sole purpose is to become the sponsor of the blood donors association.

Not sure how you can mistake and Olive and a Water python, but in any case, easiest way to tell the difference is look at their bellies. Olives have a cream belly where Water Pythons have a yellow bellow when they are older.

Certain localities of Waters have cream coloured bellies as well though.

After you've seen enough pics you start to notice the subtle differences. The pic suggestion is probably the best way to get a more definite answer though

The waters I have encountered seem to be a lot darker than olives, and have a much more noticeable rainbow sheen. They also don't feel as velvety-soft as olives, who have a higher mid-body scale count.
Definitely chuck up a picture though, that's the best way for people here to clarify for you.

What makes you suspect it's a water?

You are right, I should clarify. I actually meant Monster in size vs Psycotic bugger whose sole purpose is to become the sponsor of the blood donors association.

Just re-reading your post I could have interpreted it differently too :)

I have both and the shape of the head is also slightly different too

I find olives to be less... how do I say reflective i guess. More commonly water pythons will have quite a bright yellow belly. Olives have a more elongated head. And olives will grow to be bigger. Do post a photo if possible. Water pythons also look more noticeably scaly whereas olives look softer IMO.

Well I have done lots of research on the olives, where as the water pythons are new to me. In all the pictures I've looked at they look pretty similar, so I'm not really farmiliar with the differences, or waters in general. From what I can tell though, I'm thinking it is a water python, but not 100% sure still. I'll try to post a pic. Thanks for all the help!

Asked a mate who has lots of experience with them and his main observations were a) they are not as placid/friendly as Olives b) wont grow as big but if yours isn't full grown that won't help and c) the belly is a darker yellow/orange colour as opposed to the creamy colour of an Olive.

Easiest way is take it out into the sun
waters explode into a rainbow sheen a bit like petrol on water
olives dont to anywhere near the same extent

Last edited:
post a pick and we will be able to tell you. i own a water python, she spends most of the day in water and roams around at night. water pythons can be really agressive snakes and very food agressive. though mine can be satan itself most days and placid other days. also rainbow shine on scales, yellow belly (but not always). if you got it 3 years ago you should be able to tell size difference, as olives are alot bigger.

who ever sold it to you should have told you exactly what it is, so you could add it to your log book.

Funny thing is on warm days my mates olive python lives in her water bucket as if she were a water python. :D

Wild olives also almost always are found in or close to water
Very similar habits to waters

Olives are drab poo brown whilst Waters have an amazing rainbow sheen and bright Yellow(Qld) or Orange(NT) bellies.... My Qld Water is a placid "hand to children" snake... [ This is a pro- Water Python post as someone needs to stick up for them]

Without wanting to be rude, Water Pythons and Olive Pythons are two totally different looking snakes - unless you've got glasses like Mr McGoo. Only the half-blind could mix them up in my opinion - colour, head-shape, build, the body sheen... they don't call Water Pythons "rainbow serpents" for nothing... Some Water Pythons are bitey, but it's mostly because they are ALWAYS food focused.

Jamie

We caught a yearling white lipped water and probably its mum recently near Sanur in Bali
They had been eating ducklings and nobody knew what they were
They had killed 2 other young ones before we were called
Probably gravid female escaped from somewhere last year

Mum was purely psycho on capture but is eating and hasnt drawn blood yet
Baby is very cool and beautiful to handle

Without wanting to be rude, Water Pythons and Olive Pythons are two totally different looking snakes - unless you've got glasses like Mr McGoo. Only the half-blind could mix them up in my opinion - colour, head-shape, build, the body sheen... they don't call Water Pythons "rainbow serpents" for nothing... Some Water Pythons are bitey, but it's mostly because they are ALWAYS food focused.

Jamie

Perfectly said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back