Olive or Water Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All pythons in the water in Australia are called water pythons and all brown coloured land snakes are called brown snakes because people don't know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd guess Brian was told by the reporter it was a water python without seeing it himself.

That's interesting most other news sites and fb posts got the species right. I guess Brisbane times just wanted to be different.

mt isa olive croc - Google Search

If you try the same search string but with water instead of olive, you'll get just as many and varied news reports. It really annoys when journalists - who have a much easier job these days - can't be bothered doing even the most basic research.

I'm even more annoyed that I second-guessed myself!

It's an olive, I was asked to confirm the id.

Thanks Scott. Any idea how they got it wrong in the first place? And why Brian would comment on something like this without seeing photos first?

I have no idea, the snake a python being in the water..... Assumption, press guess/ creative license? As for what Bryan said I have no idea but I severely doubt that he would of made such a gross error.

Sounds like Bryan Fry was asked his oppinion probably by phone and hadnt yet viewed the pictures .Its a good record ,hope the snake was able to remain undisturbed so that it could digest the meal ,truly impressive snake.

It's an olive near water, so naturally it's a water python right?? Haha Never mind the thing was 8m long! Though I'm not sure what facts to trust any more

It's an olive near water, so naturally it's a water python right?? Haha Never mind the thing was 8m long! Though I'm not sure what facts to trust any more

8 metres, wow that's a big one. I thought they were only half that size.

8 metres, wow that's a big one. I thought they were only half that size.

Allegedly, that's what a report I read said, but as this thread points out, there are lot of dubious facts reported by the media on this story

A local snake catcher said it was less than 3 meters long, which is small for an Olive.

food aggression???? really???? thats a new one

food aggression???? really???? thats a new one

Yes, they won't let other snakes or people near their food. without proper management, a food-aggressive snake can escalate past growling and using it's body to block access to the food, and may eventually bite or attack someone or something approaching it while eating. for this reason, it is suggested that when your snake is a hatchling, you take its food away from it as often as possible, to discourage the idea that it can boss you around with physically intimidating behaviour...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back