Olive python feeding anecdote

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ewan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
2 of my olives one 8 months old the other 20 months old have had very different feeding programs since hatching. The 8 month old has eaten every 5 days a medium rat the 20 month old came with no records but the breeder said it ate a large mouse or small rat every week. The 20 month old is only a little larger than the 8 month old.

So last week I fed them each a large identical food item. Both were bulging nicely. 4 days later the 8 month old has returned to normal size and the 20 month old still has a slight bulge. Any one else noticed that a python fed large prey items more frequently can digest food more rapidly than one fed small prey items? Amy one with any experiences with this over long periods of time?

Regards.

Ewan

olives are guts my 10mth old just took her first small rat which is the same food item i am feeding my 18mth old md

I have bredli hatchies and they eat 3 pinkie rats a week. REALLY BIG PIGS..... cant wait untill they get bigger. :p

cheers

any chance 1 was basking more than the other?

coastal boy piss the pinkies of and feed mice with fur more healthy for the snake

Really, i was told that rats are better then mice more protein or something?????? and where i live pet shops only stock rats and breeders only do rats :(

yeh rats or mice are good but pinkies arent really that good for snakes , better with the fur on

Really, i was told that rats are better then mice more protein or something?????? and where i live pet shops only stock rats and breeders only do rats :(

if its managing 3 pinkies it will managed a furred rat then,....

yeah chris1 thats wat i was thinking much better for it to

OK thanks guys. ill get some fured rats for them :) i go shopping next weekend at the local rat breeder :) getting large rats and now little fured ones :p.......... " Large rats for my Coastal "

I just put my albino Darwin on velvet rats as she won't eat mice of any description unless I starve her for a week, then she reluctantly eats a fuzzy mouse. The velvets were enormous and the poor thing looks like shes going to pop but she ate it after a little figuring out and moving it around. She has to be the most awkward feeder I have ever seen, she ties herself up in knots trying to figure out how to approach the food.

I just put my albino Darwin on velvet rats as she won't eat mice of any description unless I starve her for a week, then she reluctantly eats a fuzzy mouse. The velvets were enormous and the poor thing looks like shes going to pop but she ate it after a little figuring out and moving it around. She has to be the most awkward feeder I have ever seen, she ties herself up in knots trying to figure out how to approach the food.

This would also be cute to watch :)

I thought this tread was about different digestion times for different snakes based on their feeding frequency.Chris1. I have thought about that however there is no way I could test it.

I feed my 8 month old albino olive probably what u guys who feed petshop rats would call a large rat (i call them small rats...as i breed my own and never weigh them) every 5days and within 2-3 days he looks like he hasn't eaten at all,my impression over the years is if an animal is fed large food items more fequently they digest them alot quicker than large or small items less fequently ( but it also varys on the species aswell).....Woma's are great digesters or the best ive seen time line wise anyways.

But you can only feed pythons large food items fequently for the first 18 mths of their lives and then you need to taper down the fequency but not size of food item as a python can do 'most' of its growing within the first 18 mths of its life and then tends to put on girth and length from then on.

Just my two cents

Congo

Last edited:
2 of my olives one 8 months old the other 20 months old have had very different feeding programs since hatching. The 8 month old has eaten every 5 days a medium rat the 20 month old came with no records but the breeder said it ate a large mouse or small rat every week. The 20 month old is only a little larger than the 8 month old.

So last week I fed them each a large identical food item. Both were bulging nicely. 4 days later the 8 month old has returned to normal size and the 20 month old still has a slight bulge. Any one else noticed that a python fed large prey items more frequently can digest food more rapidly than one fed small prey items? Amy one with any experiences with this over long periods of time?

Regards.

Ewan

I'd say that this will change as the 20 month old's metabolism is 'kick started' by the new feeding regime.....

I fed three olives 100 gram rats to refusal every 5 days and at 18 months all weighed between 4 and 4.5 kilos which for me is near enough to the same. Ewan, I reckon your 18 month old animal's digestion will speed up once it gets used to eating again. Most dealers dont waste too much money on food so its system probably hasn't had much recent practice at digestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back