Olive Python humidity.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggz

Reaction score
Ok I have my first olive and have had a bit of a slow start with him. it took 6 weeks to get him to have his first feed for me which I know isn't normally a problem but with Olive's reputations for being aggressive feeders it did start to get me stressed a fair bit. He is feeding now and is in the process of his second shed with me, The first shed was a messy bit at a time affair with lots of baths and running through damp cloths and now his 2nd shed he still has complete head and about 3 inches of body which hasn't come off. This has me wondering about humidity. His enclosure sits at a constant 36% and then I spray and have added an extra water bowl to bring it up to around the 55% mark providing I spray every 4 hours or so. So after this long winded spiel the question is what is the ideal humidity for an Olive??

oh extra details just in case he is roughly 10 months old, bred by Peter Krausse and flown to Adelaide in may

Humidity shouldn't really be a day to day problem for most snakes in our homes. How hot is the enclosure generally? Snakes often retreat to a cooler place as soon as the shedding process starts, so if the snake can't hide from excessive heat during this process, it sort of bakes the skin onto the new layer underneath because the separating fluid layer dries out. If there is insufficient heat gradient this could be the problem. You shouldn't have to spray the enclosure at all if the other husbandry parameters are satisfactory.

Jamie

Temp gradient is 25 in cool end to 34 in hot end. He has rough hollow logs and smooth dowell that he climbs around on. I am using Critters Crumble as the substrate for the first time which seems to dry things out a bit. The enclosure has rather large vents so I have just covered them half over to see if that helps keep the humidity up a fraction. I have had Murray Darlings and a few Bredli in the past and never had a problem with any of them. One of my Bredli used this same enclosure for 4 years and never had an issue. Only difference was fake grass substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back