Olive Python Musk...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

I have a very young wild caught (legally) Kimberly olive python.
I've had it for nearly a year I guess. Nearly every time I pick it up it emits urates or a musky fluid. Has anyone else experienced such a thing with olives?

i have had that with a captive raised amazon tree boa aka little satan :p and a cb ball that did it 50% of the time

some snakes are just like that get nervous when you take them out

i dont live in aus

i have had that with a captive raised amazon tree boa aka little satan :p and a cb ball that did it 50% of the time

some snakes are just like that get nervous when you take them out

i dont live in aus
Yeah, I need to put more time in handling it. Probably get it out once a fortnight or so.
It's interesting, I cant find much about scent glands, but it has a very unique smell to it. Like someone's dirty socks or sneakers that have been worn all summer without socks....

i had to wash my hands 2-3 times afterwards the stench wouldnt go away :p

little satan was taken out of cage almost every day didnt help much :p and he could give some nasty bites :p

I know scrub pythons have a musk when they are nervous/stressed. Hard describe but a bit like dirty socks mixed with rotting vegetation. Olives could have a similar thing.... possibly.

i had to wash my hands 2-3 times afterwards the stench wouldnt go away :p

little satan was taken out of cage almost every day didnt help much :p and he could give some nasty bites :p

Try elaphe carinata some time
you throw away what ever you were wearing

with most snakes its also a defence mechanism
I think the amount of stink depends on how developed the post anal glands are

Completely normal with wild snakes, majority of wild snakes (all species i have encountered so far from pythons, elapids and colubrids) will musk you when disturbed. I would think regular handling would help the situation but it would depend on the snake. It may settle with time, or forever act like a wild snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back