Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Womagaunt

Reaction score
Was just looking through the current species list for Nsw reptile keepers licences and saw the Olive pythons are on R1 companion, now i dont know about you but i thought that a python that can grow upto 13-foot would have to be altleast on R2 or R3, so that it being on R1 would mean that a beginner to the hobby being inexperienced would be able to keep one, and for a python that needs a very large amount of space in its tanks and eats like a beast why is it on R1? , This is a Discussion thread and i know everyone has their own perspectives on things, so what does everyone else think? does the Olive python belong on R1? :)

I don't see the problem. Most big olives don't go up for public sale, usually they're around 7-8ft and they don't get 13ft overnight. Bredli and coastals can also get huge. I think olives are fine as a starter, especially if purchased as hatchlings or even placid older snakes. Some seem to think others need to start with a stimson or woma, I never understood this, maybe they're afraid to jump in the deep end.

I've got friends that have jumped into 3m olives and GTPs as first snakes which have been fine, even though people that don't keep them will tell you not to get them because they're 'hard' to look after..

I think olives are fine on R1.

There great I beleve they would be a great first python

Stimi's r beginners snakes!!! But when they become problem feeders r they such a good 1st choice??

they are fine on R1 if someone is buying as a first snake i would not recomend an adult but a hatchie or yearling would be ok.

i have BHP'S and bredli's that are huge.

i do understand the concern that a newbie on a R1 may want a huge snake to impress there mates and may buy a large olive but this would rarly happen, also yo dont see many olives over 6ft for sale.

Olives are are python you buy to keep forever if I ever got out of the hobby I'd still keep all of my olives not that I'd ever get out of the hobby but yea as long as the keeper is confident and dose the research there great

I also think they are fine starter snakes, especially with the new requirements for cage size there should be no problem. Better to buy them young and have them grow to full size in your company, so you are able to get used to the size over time.

While on the discussion of snakes on beginner licenses, I don't even understand why GTPs are on the more advanced ones, they're far easier & less aggressive than people who've never kept them will make you believe. If you can change their water every day or 2 and give them a spray, more so when they're shedding, they're as easy to keep as any other morelia - the hardest part is getting them off their perch.

While on the discussion of snakes on beginner licenses, I don't even understand why GTPs are on the more advanced ones, they're far easier & less aggressive than people who've never kept them will make you believe. If you can change their water every day or 2 and give them a spray, more so when they're shedding, they're as easy to keep as any other morelia - the hardest part is getting them off their perch.

GPs are good on class 2 I feel because when people are starting up they have a fair bit to rap there heads around look at all the posts on here baby steps
Lol

GPs are good on class 2 I feel because when people are starting up they have a fair bit to rap there heads around look at all the posts on here baby steps
Lol

Yes and no, the key to chondros is hydration - if people can change a waterbowl and give them a spray they'll do well (assuming they can set up the heat properly aswell, but that goes for any snake)

I guess it depends on the person though, some can't even pick their hatchys up.

Yes and no, the key to chondros is hydration - if people can change a waterbowl and give them a spray they'll do well (assuming they can set up the heat properly aswell, but that goes for any snake)

I guess it depends on the person though, some can't even pick their hatchys up.

Thats it ay some people you got to just lough or you would strangle em the thing newbies have told me n some things you see on this forum but ay we all started some where

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 I wish I didn't have to wait a year and a bit to get one. Though will help me get the 3 grand I need for a cute pair of Biaks.

Thats it ay some people you got to just lough or you would strangle em the thing newbies have told me n some things you see on this forum but ay we all started some where

Yeah, all have to start somewhere - some just do it better than others right off the bat.

+1 I wish I didn't have to wait a year and a bit to get one. Though will help me get the 3 grand I need for a cute pair of Biaks.

It'll be well worth the wait, they're awesome snakes (they don't do much but they make up for it by being pretty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back