Olive Python with flaky scales after shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandyreptiles

Reaction score
My Olive shed 6 days ago and it came as one piece. He had a bad mite infestation prior to this but has been treated with Top of Descent 3 times over 10 days and no mites left. He hasn't been soaking in water bowl either.

Problem is that his skin is dry and the fairly glossy top layer of each scale is flaking off, leaving a matt scale.

He is irritated, won't eat and just wants me to wipe him over with a wet/warm face-washer, whereby individual scales come off. I have applied Paw-paw cream to sooth his skin and he has had three antibiotic and anti-inflammatory shots over 9 days to treat damaged nose and possible sinus infection.

I am worried that I may be making things worse by gently rubbing more of the scales off (considering his recent shed).

Grateful for any advice pls.

i wouldnt force it, a pic would be good as my olive had the same problem (no mites tho) sounds like you went to the vet so id just do what ever there advice was. warm water is good but you shouldnt force the scales to peal off unless they are basically falling off. i took mine to the reptile park and the guy got me to get a stick and gently rub it up and down the areas and the scales fell off with no pressure. sorry i cant help much. good luck and keep us posted

Must be an olive thing my 5 year old male is going through the same thing, bad shed rubbing himself all over the enclosure.Has never done anything lik this before very strange

Olive had last antibiotic and anti-inflammatory (should keep him calm) yesterday. He is still restless but calmed down when I placed 3 big, old and roughish towels in his enclosure. He has been wriggling amongst them when awake. I wet one on the top and he crawls through this often before returning to the dry ones. Will try and feed him again in a few days.

A friend's Olive has done a similar thing, so judging from our experience and posts above it seems an Olive thing? although hasn't happened before??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back