Olives and BHPs and Khukuris

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khukuri

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hullo! My name's Rebecca, I'm 20, and I like big snakes and small lizards. I got my first herp two years ago, and somehow along the way I seem to have wound up with beardies, bluies, shinglebacks, bhps, and an unholy trinity of olives.

I'm in Fauna Rescue, my favourite drink is strawberry daiquris, my worst enemy is the Herp Club raffle, and I can probably kick your back side in video games. :)

Here are some shots of the gang:

bern2.jpg

Bernard the olive python was my first snake. I thought I could handle an olive straight off the bat- it was just good luck that I seem to have wound up with the most placid, people-friendly, easy-going olive ever. We do reptile education presentations around Adelaide with Fauna Rescue, so if you've seen an shy girl and a friendlier olive, that's probably us. Bernard likes basking on the clothesline, and dislikes children patting him with icecreamy hands.

40bfc768.jpg

This is The Queen, my big girl. She's named after the critter from Aliens, because she's big, vicious, clever, and one day I will have to battle it out with her while wearing an armoured forklift suit. She's sleek and strapping and healthy; I put this down to how much of my blood she's drank. 3m+ olives and fingers are not the best of friends. :( Still, I hope to get some olivettes out of her this year, cross fingers!

a8f05186.jpg

Sebastian and Lydia are five-month-old BHPs. Sebastian is an active, intelligent little guy, and will press himself up against the tank doors if he sees you in the room. His preferred method of eating is to tilt his head back, open his mouth, and wait for me to drop a pinky in. I think he was raised by birds.

When I got Lydia, she didn't eat. I tried scenting her mice with chicks, skinks, some very offended bearded dragons, to no avail. Then one day my dad was playing with her and she bit him. Now she will only eat if we assist-feed her mice scented with my dad.

Are all BHPs this neurotic, or did I just get lucky?

bb4c7340.jpg

Cosi the shingleback is a surrendered pet. He's also the most photographic of the lot, because he moves at a speed of roughly one metre per hour, allowing me to snap away happily.

DSCF0883.jpg

Spanky the bluetongue was surrendered along with Cosi. Here he is modelling the newest of lizard fashions, or maybe just being really confused.

In conclusion: hi!

Well "hi!" back to you :D And welcome. Love the family photos...making a mental note not to let my bluey see your bluey's "hat" or the silly sot will try it himself :lol:

Welcome, and what a wonderful collection (including the other non-olive stuff :wink: ) Yes fingers and hungry olives dont mix well :D

olivehydra said:
Welcome, and what a wonderful collection (including the other non-olive stuff :wink: ) Yes fingers and hungry olives dont mix well :D

You sounds like you're talking from experience Olivepythonfoodthingie :D

Just out of curiosity....why the knife nic??

A khukuri is a knife. I wondered at the meaning.

Olives and BJP's and khukuris OH MY!! :D

Kersten said:
making a mental note not to let my bluey see your bluey's "hat" or the silly sot will try it himself :lol:

You mean it's possible for a bluetongue to eat without making snail hats every time? Impossible!

Khukuri because I used to have one, and the nick is never ever taken on boards. It's handy AND pretty! :D

Well you know, now that you mention it I wonder how he's gone this long without it....I did see him once do something entirely inappropriate with a pinky and a hibiscus flower....but this is a PG site (where possible) :roll: :oops:

Ahh lovely, my other half will be jealous. He's a sucker for a good knife.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but tradition states that if a khukuri is drawn from its sheath, it cannot be replaced unless having had drawn blood. I hope its not something you get out often to show visitors? :wink:

Kersten said:
Olive, you shameless googler you :p

But you raise a good point :shock:

No google, Shameful British military family on one side. Was taught all about the fearless ghurkas as a child.
Anyhoo, how about some more olive pics please? :D

I'm a vegetarian, mine just had to be satisfied with a bit of broccoli now and then.

Olives ahoy!
DSCF1467copy.jpg

The Queen and her boytoy being introduced! Alas, sparks failed to fly. (I know, too early. It's my first time breeding, I'm allowed to be over-enthusiastic :p)

DSCF1181copy.jpg

Just chilling out. That, or playing the biggest cats' cradle ever.

DSCF1459copy.jpg

The Queen loves to pose. Her boy remains suspicious.

Hi Khukuri, Welcome to APS!

Loved reading your introduction - did not think it was possible to chuckle at this time of day - specially on a Saturday!

Not sure if it Sebastian or Lydia but that is a great shot of your little BHP.

Looking forward to seeing more photos!

Khukuri said:
Hullo! My name's Rebecca, I'm 20, and I like big snakes and small lizards. I got my first herp two years ago, and somehow along the way I seem to have wound up with beardies, bluies, shinglebacks, bhps, and an unholy trinity of olives.

Hey, Rebecca: I found this place after your recommendation in Livejournal. :)

Interestingly, in America womas are much cheaper than Black-Headed Pythons (you can pick up a Woma for $350-$500: a BHP will run you $2k or more). I gather the opposite is true in Oz?

Your collection is magnificent, by the way. I love your Olives and hope to be posting pics of mine as soon as I can purchase one.

khukuri,- not to early for olives especially down your way, they should be going at it hammer and tongs.
nice animals and welcome.

Khukuri said:
I'm a vegetarian, mine just had to be satisfied with a bit of broccoli now and then.

Olives ahoy!
DSCF1467copy.jpg

The Queen and her boytoy being introduced! Alas, sparks failed to fly. (I know, too early. It's my first time breeding, I'm allowed to be over-enthusiastic :p)

DSCF1181copy.jpg

Just chilling out. That, or playing the biggest cats' cradle ever.

DSCF1459copy.jpg

The Queen loves to pose. Her boy remains suspicious.

No dramas, Ive tried already this year and my boy went straight to sleep. I suppose we just keep trying. How old are they? (sorry if I missed that in an earlier post).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back