One feral cat's 24 hour catch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like cats, and I've kept them as pets, and I'm getting another one soon. However, because of the environmental issues, plus the danger to the cat, I want it to be an indoor cat. However, my mum wants an outdoor cat :rolleyes: she just doesn't get it.

I like cats, and I've kept them as pets, and I'm getting another one soon. However, because of the environmental issues, plus the danger to the cat, I want it to be an indoor cat. However, my mum wants an outdoor cat :rolleyes: she just doesn't get it.
Get a cat run!

Let me ask, Should the governing bodies that are hear to protect our wildlife like the Department of sustainability and Environment in Victoria be doing more to protect and conserve the native Fauna than checking that our record books are in order and the I’s are dotted and the t's are crossed? Over the last 12 months more than a dozen Victorians have been raided with nothing much more than clerical paperwork errors. My point in this thread is the Department like the DSE in Victoria (NPWS, EPA etc) could be doing more for native species!

I have dissected and sorted through the gut contents of quite a few feral cats and the result for small prey items was pretty similar to the photo. Most had superficial damage which had obviously been inflicted during capture and would not be visible without blowing that photo up quite large. Very few had been chewed much unless it was something bigger like a larger mammal or larger bird. For those it can be hard to identify as often there is only a small bit of fur attached and most feathers are discarded before eating.

And you are right the smell is something else. It sticks to you too and when you are out in the bush with limited water it only gets better with time.

Cats may be supposedly nocturnal hunters but I can say I have seen numerous feral cats hunting during the day, even in very hot areas in the middle of the day (around Mt Isa). Cats are opportunists and will be active when the prey is. They can function effectively both night and day unlike some other predators.

Last edited:
I am not a cat person nor am I againsed them but what I am againsed is irresponsible cat ownership. people need to keep their cats indors or they should not own a cat at all.
As far as 'feral' cats are concerned however, they must be erradicated as with the Cane Toad, Foxes, Pigs, Rabbits and any other non-native animal that is here either competing with or consuming our precious native fauna!

Burmese cat my brother had in wollongong wiped out a sugar tail glider colony that was near the house,ring tailed possums,escaped budgies. God knows how many reptiles and marsupial mice it ate,had to give the cat away.
Foxes are pretty severe on reptiles also,particularly on pythons and clutches of eggs which they leave scattered about.
Dotty is correct in saying that wildlife authorities should be spending more time doing other things such as contoling pests.
One of the biggest pests we have is the WA CALM promoting the taking of wild reptiles,pox on them,they would sell their grandmothers if they thought there was money in it.

lol thats funny i feed my cats propper meat not that canned stuff and they are huge
Your cats may be huge but I can assure you ferals are much bigger.
We caught one in a rabbit trap when we were kids. It had chewed half through it's leg to escape.
I can see why people think they see black panthers in the wild. This thing was enormous!

Apparently feral cat is good eating, i remember watching a malcolm douglas doco where an aboriginal family spent a hole day tracking a feral through the desert cause it is a favourite food of the local people who call it "puddy tat" lol funnyest thing i ever saw.
Is prefered by the locals over roo apparently..

John Read helped start the arid recovery land north of roxby, i know this as this is where i currently work. They have fence of a large area of land to re-introduce the bilby and are also trying to release womas,they had little sucess as i think the brown snakes ate them but the Bilbys are going good.They managed to eradicate all ferals inside this fenced of area which took alot of man hours and dedication from volunteers and the enviros. The photo is exactly what was found inside one of the culled the cats and no he isnt the funny fella that wears the cat skins.

John Read helped start the arid recovery land north of roxby, i know this as this is where i currently work. They have fence of a large area of land to re-introduce the bilby and are also trying to release womas,they had little sucess as i think the brown snakes ate them but the Bilbys are going good.They managed to eradicate all ferals inside this fenced of area which took alot of man hours and dedication from volunteers and the enviros. The photo is exactly what was found inside one of the culled the cats and no he isnt the funny fella that wears the cat skins.

Thanks for the clarification, thats all I was asking.

Seriously, the photo is not the issue. The question asked was regarding licensing and regulations of cat ownership versus keeping Australian native animals. Again, to reiterate my previous post: saying the photo is a fake is accusing a respected researcher of falsifying his results (for what? Shock value? That's a journalists job, not a scientists').

I'm unfamiliar with the Australian laws regarding the import of cats, but if it is not illegal to do so already, then it should be. Feral cats and foxes are currently the biggest threat to our native animals and have been attributed to much more damage to our ecosystem than the cane toad. It is a well documented fact and I honestly can't believe that the Australian government (and many individual state governments) has sat around and watched for so long when the results of several studies every year come to the same conclusion; Cats are destroying our country!.

Why then, knowing this, can Jo Blo go down the street and say to any number of organizations (including the RSPCA... which deserves its own completely different rant) and shops and say "I'll have that cat right now thank you". Surely there needs to be some responsibility from the stores and organizations, tougher laws and proper penalties for the people who disobey them. This should include not being able to buy another cat (this is the case for Australian natives, why not for pests). It should be mandatory to have all cats micro-chipped and spayed before sale and in a perfect world all stray cats found without microchips would be euthanized and all micro-chipped cats found off property to be re-homed and the registered owner to receive a fine and suspension (or cancellation) of license. If it's a legitimate escape, notify the right people immediately and if there are multiple escapes then license revoked until you fix the problem. It is illegal for you to allow your animals to roam around off your property and if people aren't careful, very soon I can see it being endorsed by the government that any cat not on a personal property is to be considered feral and legal to be killed on site.

Let's not forget here that whilst you might not see your "little harmless cutie" cats potential to cause serious devastation to the environment by letting it out every night, it's people who believe that they and their pets are the exception to the rule that have caused this problem so don't add to it. I'm sick of hearing naive comments such as "It's already done, so why change what we're doing now?" because the answer is simple and indisputable. We will inevitably do serious damage to the environment in the long run before we figure out how to live life without doing so (well, Aboriginal people never seemed to have too many sustainability issues) but the decision that is being placed before us as a whole is do we attempt to destroy the country and its ecosystem quickly, knowingly and disrespectfully. Or to we simply not make conscious decisions to do ignorant things like letting cats out of your property at night. It's also up to the government if they are serious about environmental sustainability, like they say they are (and not just holding votes), to legislate accordingly and make provisions for enforcement. cats aren't the only issue but they are definitely right up there and despite the inconvenience factor, which we all as keepers of Australian natives have to endure, a licensing and tracking system for cats is necessary to slow the impact on our ecosystem. A small licensing fee, if necessary, should go solely to funding the staff and needs of this governing body and to aid in removal of feral cats, possibly offer a reward for a tail? similarly to what was done for Tasmanian tigers, which saw to its extinction (there are other theories, but this was still a large contributory factor).

Anyway, after reading that long essay, I hope you all come to the realization that (despite having an American spell-check which frustrates me into adding "z" to a large proportion of "sing" suffixed words) I should be put in charge of the country for a year or so to make all the tough decisions and not worry about voters, so that when I'm replaced by the soft shells of human beings we call politicians, these important policies have already been put in place and that way we wont have to wait for politicians to do the right thing (It'll be a long wait)

The photo is normal with regards to a reptilian based haul of a feral cat living in a mesic enviroment...the prey items are all fairly readily seen in the right paces and well within the reach of cats. In a few surveys i have been on where cats were killed and gut contents examined, generally small prey items are whole with minimal tears.

Incidently..The Cat Hat Bloke is Dr John Wamsley, not the nutter people seem to make out but very interesting person to speak with and one hell of a conservationist.

Dottyback,
There was joke around about 15 years back that a single cartridge for a 22 with a good marksmen would do more for wildlife protection than the combined resources of the various wildlife departments for a year.

Thats just as bad, maybe worse than saying "The only good snake is a dead snake" snakes and cats are both predators, hunting to survive. Going by your logic should we say "the only good human is a dead human"? Think about it, us humans make feral cats look like angels! We kill animals just for money and fun. Humans in Australia kill hundreds of snakes and sharks meaninglessly each year, just out of fear.
Thanks to us, whales, tigers, pandas and countless other creatures are on the brink of extinction. Also, thanks to us the ozone layer is getting thinner and thinner each year. Cats don't seem so bad anymore, eh?

Yes I find humans passing judgement on a species for environmental decimation is ironic, not to mention every pest animal in the country was introduced or brought here by humans.

cool, another cat fight. as usual my sig says it all really.

as someone who has poked around inside ferals before it looks legit to me.
and i'll add that the stench of dissected cat is truly stomach churning.

I agree with you - but only in context - in other words, there are many good cats, in the right country. Australia is not a country made for cats (or dogs for that matter) based on our native wildlife. NZ is the same. Pigs are also included - though there are many good pigs that can really bring home the bacon.

As for the photograph, I am of neither opinion - real or unreal based on the fact that I have only ever dissected toads and rats (I think). The toads swallow their prey items whole, but apples to water melons really.

Continuing on the theme of the photograph - does it matter if it is real or not? The reality is propaganda is a form of education.

Apparently feral cat is good eating, i remember watching a malcolm douglas doco where an aboriginal family spent a hole day tracking a feral through the desert cause it is a favourite food of the local people who call it "puddy tat" lol funnyest thing i ever saw.
Is prefered by the locals over roo apparently..

CAT-the other white meat
Cats are cool, keep them in your backyard no problems, come into my yard-GAME OVER. I'll expect the same should my snakes escape into their backyards.

[deleted]
Sounds like a real fun guy.....is he related to the family on the movie deliverance! You can keep him in the US, we dont need whacko's like this in our Country!!! Thanks for the advice.

UHHa, yep my ma is the best tongue kisser of all! Uha, Yup... pass me that bango Billy John..... naw, pass me da rifle and i'll kill the neighbors cats....yep, yep, tats what i'll do....

Last edited by a moderator:
[deleted]
What a phsyco!!!! That is just cruel and horrible! Those cats could've been peoples pets, and that old lady would've been heartbroken! If I were her I'd shoot him! He should be locked up for years for animal cruelty and probably get therapy as well! It's illegal to kill peoples pets! Did he grow up to be a serial killer? I'm sorry, but he sounds like a very scary man. If he ever killed my cats my god the things I would do! Im sorry, I know I'm ranting a bit but that post just infuriated me.

Sounds like a real fun guy.....is he related to the family on the movie deliverance! You can keep him in the US, we dont need whacko's like this in our Country!!! Thanks for the advice.

UHHa, yep my ma is the best tongue kisser of all! Uha, Yup... pass me that bango Billy John..... naw, pass me da rifle and i'll kill the neighbors cats....yep, yep, tats what i'll do....
Yup he sounds like a redneck hillbilly.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dream job would be to shoot every feral cat in Australia, if i was paid id woud be happy to wipe them all out , the destruction a feral cat does to the native wildlife is devestating ! if i was paid by the government i would be out there every night killing these ferals, i dont have a problem with it.
i remember years ago on a ride to a small camping area in south east queensland and there was hundreds of feral cats surrounding us i was suprised that so many could surround this river and camping area ! shining the torch in any direction youd see more eyes glowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back