One feral cat's 24 hour catch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dream job would be to shoot every feral cat in Australia, if i was paid id woud be happy to wipe them all out , the destruction a feral cat does to the native wildlife is devestating ! if i was paid by the government i would be out there every night killing these ferals, i dont have a problem with it.
i remember years ago on a ride to a small camping area in south east queensland and there was hundreds of feral cats surrounding us i was suprised that so many could surround this river and camping area ! shining the torch in any direction youd see more eyes glowing .

Don't be selfish! Other people could do the job too you know :)

Imagine it though - what would the job advert be... Then... Just like in cousie bro land (NZ) when the army was called in to kill a herd of wild horses (which NZers don't affectionately dub 'brumbies') running around the Kaimanawa Ranges in the North Island.

Unfortunately people see fury, cute, big, intelligence etc etc all as features they admire and adore. What they fail to see is the 14 species of beetle that the horses are destroying, native tussocks, land where certain species of skink live (and they live no where else). But no... These small, insignificant animals are nothing in comparisson to these magnificent beasts (the horses). It makes me sick!

The army would have dispatched of these horses in only a few weeks (all of them) and life would go on.

Instead, people got up in arms about them and made photographic calendars featuring these wild horses!

While I do not think Aussies share the same affection to the cats, there would still be an uproar if it were 'advertised' - yet funny enough, it looks like you'll be able to legally cull crocs in Weipa soon enough - a native and an animal that belongs there! Do people get up in arms about that? Not even a bit!

My dream job would be to shoot every feral cat in Australia, if i was paid id woud be happy to wipe them all out , the destruction a feral cat does to the native wildlife is devestating ! if i was paid by the government i would be out there every night killing these ferals, i dont have a problem with it.
i remember years ago on a ride to a small camping area in south east queensland and there was hundreds of feral cats surrounding us i was suprised that so many could surround this river and camping area ! shining the torch in any direction youd see more eyes glowing

but realistically that wont happen you could shot them for years and not make a difference and people have tried this...
do you really think we will ever get rid of them... we havent got rid of a single pest in australian so far...
what about the dingo he was a pest only came around 4000 years ago. so if an animal can come here and be considered native in 4000 years, doesnt that mean cats will be native in 3500 years and foxes too????

the little animals they kill is only part of the problem. the toxoplasmosis carried and distributed in faeces kill thousands of larger marsupials... thats right your friendly moggy is even killing kangaroos

I agree feral cats are a huge problem every one needs to go at gunpoint. House cats need to go too, I just do not think walking around to people houses with guns to take out there beloved fluffy is a good idea.

Apparently feral cat is good eating, i remember watching a malcolm douglas doco where an aboriginal family spent a hole day tracking a feral through the desert cause it is a favourite food of the local people who call it "puddy tat" lol funnyest thing i ever saw.
Is prefered by the locals over roo apparently..

Preferred by locals because the bilbys, etc they used to eat have been wiped out by the bloody cats!

i remember years ago on a ride to a small camping area in south east queensland and there was hundreds of feral cats surrounding us i was suprised that so many could surround this river and camping area ! shining the torch in any direction youd see more eyes glowing

Shooting feral animals is a little bit different to the blatant display of animal cruelty that was recounted earlier :rolleyes:....besides what right to humans have to be cruel to any feral pest that we have bought here in the first place, cull yes but there's no excuse for not removing a problem that we have created quickly and humanely. I'll never understand why people think its ok to set toads on fire, or tie cats tails together and throw them of a clothes line to fight to death - if thats what gets you (you being a general statement, not directed at you kman) off then I only hope karma catches up with you soon

Last edited:
Feral cats are one problem to killing widlife as are all the other animals that run free they distroy kill something in one way or another it's not just cats. In Brisbane if you purchase a cat either from a pet shop or private even if no money changes hand you have to register you cat it came in June last year and yes it is policed just like dog registration and there is a cat curfew as well and again this is policed. Or you have a proper cat enclosure made and the cat lives it's day in there keeping wildlife safe. I know of a dog that kills more wildlife than a cat he has killed lorries, doves, pigeons, mice, crows and almost a fruit bat.

I had a very large tom cat in my late teens...." Smokey "
This creature [ size of a small border collie ] feared nothing !!
Belted the german sheperd up the road once [ after he attacked smokey ], dog lost one eye etc.
He was gentle as to us family..........
The piont i'm getting too...lol...is that he ate sparrows WHOLE - Catch, grab & kill....then just swallow.....lol
Should have named hi " Horse " !!
In the bush bowhunting, i've seen a few cats and they basically so the same thing.
They waste no time chewing small pray.
Although i somehow tend to miss most of them.......even at 5 yards once when i was whisling in fox's.
Mate got him at 50 yards on the run...........go figure !!!
i was the camp #*%# after that miss.....lol
just my 2 cents worth.

This thread has degenerated into typical pathetic APS fashion. Quite a few of the poster's on this thread are obviously retarded and as such add nothing to the conversation bar illiterately chiming in with how wonderful it is to kill cats inhumanely. This thread should be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back