One way to make a Fake Rock

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the sharing this with us Caveman, I'm in the process of making the rock wall, but unfortunately I'm not particularly artistic so I don't have a great of confidence in how it is going to look. Unfortunately the photo's from your post are down.

RE: Fake Rock

wombat100 said:
celticskull said:
thay look great caveman wish i had the time to make some... welldone

why can't I see the rock pictures?

Moved or deleted or the host server is down. I can't see them either, so it isn't just you. :)

Now that Lutzd has confirmed that you can't link to photos anymore is there any chance, Caveman, of posting the photos. cheers.

Hey Solitarydiver, I tried to avoid water because it would be easy to stuff up and I don't want to be responsible. Bondcrete does dry clear (even undiluted) but you dilute it with water, I wouldn't use it in an amphibian enclosure though.

Note: If you use to much Bondcrete you will smell it and when you hose your rock down it will foam.

If I were to make a waterfall I would seal my base color with Silasec cement or Pondtite and lightly color it with pigments and sand. Don't use a tint or final sealer (the tint is what needs to be sealed in). It would be up to you to decide which one to use and if it's safe for your application. Lime is not safe for fish ponds so be carefull that you don't use a product containing lime.

Other than that the easiest way to go about making a rock like this is to buy a bag of pre mixed render for the base coats (follow the instructions on the packet for curing times etc, but apply it with a paint brush). Then mix small amounts with pigments to get the color you want. I only listed the different materials to give people an idea of what to look for. Render contains additives already so you just add water and color.

Peter, your outdoor enclosure would have been perfect for running amok with concrete rocks.

Here are the pictures in the order they appear originally.

FoamColors.jpg

Foam2.jpg

Rockwork1.jpg

Rockwork2.jpg

Rockwork3.jpg

Rockwork4.jpg

Rockwork5.jpg

Hey caveman, where do you live. I would be more than happy to pay to come along to a training day to learn how to make these. You caould have "some that you prepared earlier" and we could provide all of our materials. Maybe even a stand at Phil's reptile expo. and yes mate, I would have loved fake ones in my enclosure but I didn't know how to make them and the pallet of real ones was $200 and the guy wanted $1,000 to make fake ones. But at least when I drop a fake one on my little toe it wont hurt as much. and I still have 3 more outdoor enclosures to decorate yet.

Peter, I'm down in Vic unfortunatly, otherwise I would be glad to show you first hand. Making the rock is easy, shaping it to look like a real rock is the tricky part and this can't really be taught. The best way to learn is to get out there and study real rock formations and practise. I can give you directions on how to make solid concrete rocks though if you'd like? It's a very similar process only you use building rubble as the base instead of polystyrene.

I've been thinking of having a few herp related designs printed onto t-shirts and thought a stand at a pet/reptile expo would be a good place to start. It would be good to join forces with a few people to make one really worthwhile stand offering a range of goods as well as several interesting displays throughout the day to bring people in.

I'm not big into Tshirts - but I reckon that if you made a whole range of different shaped and sized rocks, they'd probably sell!!
Congrats caveman - I really like your ideas!! I think that when I stop being so lazy I might have to get in and make a few myself!!
Question though - do you find that they're so light weight that the herps move them around all of the time? I would be looking at putting them in with adult beardies as a good substitute for the real thing (real rocks and logs weigh too much for my comfort to be in the upper enclosures) but have a feeling that my beardies would re-decorate in a heartbeat!
Cheers ;)
Bex

Has anyone up near brisbane or the Gold Coast made some good fake rocks.... I'm not game to have a go as I know they will be S##T..... Anyone willing to mafe some for me??? All expenses plus a lil extra of course...

Caveman , i have just about finished my first set of rocks / rockwalls , i was tossing up between the your idea using the bondcrete/hardener and the tile adhesive / paint option ..... being a builders labourer for alomost twenty years i know how to use all the products well ...so i went with your idea and am extremely happy with them so far ( just a few more highlights then a few clear coats for sealing it ) i will post some pics up when done .
thanks for the good tip .
Dickyknee .

Caveman,

Thanks for the Tut just finished my first Rock/background and I love it, thanks
again for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back