Opinions of Jungle Carpets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emann14

Reaction score
Hi, I am a beginner reptile owner, owning a spotted and a bluey, and I have done a bit of reading about Jungle Carpets as I think they are pretty beautiful and would make a good second python (not too large). Just wondering some of your opinions on jungles, because a lot of the info and care sheets I have read suggest them more for "decorative" purposes because of their temperament and their nature to be bitey and avoid being handled. Just wondering whether this is something to take into account with jungles. I would rather a python that I could handle, not for hours, but for a quarter hour or so per day. What are your thoughts...

I can't speak for all jungles but my 5ft+ is completely fine and relaxed during a holding session.
not aggressive getting him out of his enclosure, I put my fist up to his face and let him smell me then I get him out with my hands, he can get really nasty when he knows it's feeding time tho.

We've had our Jungles since April last year. They were hatchlings born in DEC 2012 when we got them, and were right little chainsaws. Link is a little bigger than Caine now, and he's pretty laid back and doesn't really mind being handled. He will be a bit flighty when removed from his enclosure, especially if there are more than a few people around, but otherwise he comes good within minutes.

Caine was a demon when I first got him. In fact, Link was going to be my snake but we swapped because Caine was throwing himself against the tub trying to bite my sibling and her BF, they were a bit put off by that so I was more than fine with swapping. I was bitten by him like... 15 times in one handling session. Not to scare you away from Jungles, hatchling bites do not hurt, they might draw a bit of blood, but I would be more concerned about the snake breaking a tooth than my own hand bleeding.

Now though? Caine is the most laid back and carefree snake we have. I kept at it, handling him for minutes at a time per day-every couple of days depending if he was fed recently or not. He had it out for my thumbs, moving them would warrant a tag. He's still cautious of thumbs, but now he's been the only one that hasn't bitten me in a frame of several months. My sister's albino Darwin has bitten me more often than Caine has now that they are over the instinctual hatchling defensiveness.

What I'm saying is this, if you're interested in Jungles, they are not as bad as caresheets seem to claim. Maybe we just got lucky with our snakes being pretty chill, but I'm yet to see aggresive behaviour out of them. Defensive? Yes, especially when hatchlings. Aggressive however? No, not even at feeding time. Caine is the first snake (and currently only snake) I have and I wouldn't have had it any other way if I could turn back the clock and choose a different species. They are gorgeous snakes, the possibility of bad temperament didn't stop me from giving them a go. Well worth it in the end.

I had an Atherton Jungle, not as bright as the black and golds but he had an awesome temperament. Maybe go for one that's a few years old, their temperament is usually fairly well established by then, so you'll have a good indicator of what it's like.

hatchling are usually aggressive because they feel small and insecure, Over aging and growing to a bigger size, they should calm down. My friends jungle has at temper so go you get just let it slide all over you its that relaxed and chilled out. Going over there this weekend so maybe some pics will be posted.

I thought my 2 Jungles(different locals)would never quieten down, I tried all the tricks. In pure frustration I just left them alone for about 12 months(except for feeding and cleaning enclosures)they are nearly 2 now.... at around 16 months of age they had quietened right down and are no longer defensive at all. They seem to enjoy being taken out for a slithery wander, but still prefer not to be handled overly. I cannot tell you the amount of tags/near tags I got from those 2 over their first 12 months. Whilst they are not as tolerant as my Coastals or Bredli's I am so pleased with their change in behavior at this point in time. Some quieten with more handling, but in my case it was better to leave them alone till they didn't feel so threatened. They are a beautiful Python :D

I have a 6 year old atherton jungle python and he is stunning and has never bit me. Has a lovely light yellowish green bellie after shedding. Great snakes mate suggest you get on!

I have 1 jungle female, the last of a clutch that had to be force fed for 3 months, Obviously she is gonna have people issues after that,
shes colouring up real nice, and tbh, after handling her consistently for the time ive had her (only 2 times a week average) she hasnt bitten me for 6 months, still skittish, but such a nice beautiful creature.

I have just taken possession of a 5 week old chain saw... But I'll feed up for a few weeks then start handling sessions.... Multiple bites when doing clean outs but this is usual hatchie behaviour... If u don't wana get bitten than snakes r not for u :(

Thanks for all the replies, I am not afraid of bites, but i would prefer a python that doesn't always want to attack me. My spotty has bitten me once in 8 months and is so lax, so I guess I am just used to the chilled temperament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back