Opinions on raising Lace monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptile_keeper_luke

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just want some different opinions on how to raise a lace monitor.
I've heard many different ways to do it, but some other advice would be good.
Happy to take in all advice, even if your way is 100% different to someone else's...

cheers!

What do you mean exactly? As in husbandry methods, or approaches to handling, or something else? Or are you after information in general?

Personally I don't have Lacies (yet :)) but I keep my Merten's at ambient temp with two basking lights, that's all he gets. As far as handling goes, I understand that with monitors in general, pretty much leave them alone for the first couple of years. It's not so much "getting them used to being handled" as letting them learn to trust you enough to let you handle them without taking pieces of you with them when they break free.

As i commented earlier before it deleted :
Heat it, feed it, do not touch it.

It was deleted because it is not helpful at all. The only part that doesn't require further explanation is not handling it. Heat it - how hot, for how long each day? Feed it - feed it what, how often? You might think you know it all but if others ask for help dont want one sentance answers. If you can't take 10 minutes to justify your response and potentially help someone then don't bother.

Im sure the OP is after more detailed answers. Perhaps enclosure specs, heat, food etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I just want some different opinions on how to raise a lace monitor.
I've heard many different ways to do it, but some other advice would be good.
Happy to take in all advice, even if your way is 100% different to someone else's...

cheers!

Where are you starting from, what experience do you have with reptiles or monitors in general? Some more information would assist us in helping you.

But for starters do some research, there's a wealth of info on this forum, just search for it. Buy a few books, the new Danny Brown one is particularly helpful for beginners.

Monitor Keeper responded with as much detail as the OP's question contained. That's why I asked for clarification, then gave an answer just as vague (though a lot more long-winded) than Monitor Keeper's.

You can't provide a specific answer for such a vague question.

It was deleted because it is not helpful at all. The only part that doesn't require further explanation is not handling it. Heat it - how hot, for how long each day? Feed it - feed it what, how often? You might think you know it all but if others ask for help dont want one sentance answers. If you can't take 10 minutes to justify your response and potentially help someone then don't bother.

Im sure the OP is after more detailed answers. Perhaps enclosure specs, heat, food etc.
If you look at previous threads I have posted in for monitors I give peach perfect answers every time. Sorry I do not have the supernatural ability to read minds unlike you it seems? Apologies oh wise lord with special powers. If the OP wants proper and precise answers he can at least ask us what he is looking for. My short sentence still is somewhat greatly more helpful to your not so well thought out response to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I just want some different opinions on how to raise a lace monitors

That is enough of a question to explain what you would reccomend for a young lacie. If someone asks me "what is your opinion in raising a childrens python?" I wouldn't answer with heat it, feed it, don't touch it. Simply explain a click clack set up, temps and feeding regime. If they wanted more detailed response I'm sure it would follow after the initial answer.

The OP could have provided more information about their experience and age of the lacie however their question/post wasn't so vague to warrant a ridiculous non helpful response.

If you look at previous threads I have posted in for monitors I give peach perfect answers every time. Sorry I do not have the supernatural ability to read minds unlike you it seems? Apologies oh wise lord with special powers. If the OP wants proper and precise answers he can at least ask us what he is looking for. My short sentence still is somewhat greatly more helpful to your not so well thought out response to me.

- - - Updated - - -
it was deleted because it was an ignorant way to anwser someones question, if your not actually going to help the guy then dont bother posting useless info that will get deleted. And for the monitor info I have seen many videos on target training monitors. Where a monitor pushes or bites a target and receives a reward. This can be a very fun way of bonding with your monitor. I have also seen great videos of playing chase with your monitor. Making them work for their food. Crazy for Chicken - YouTube The possibilities are endless. Just remember you can't force them to do something they don't want to. Interaction should always take place on their terms.

Where are you starting from, what experience do you have with reptiles or monitors in general? Some more information would assist us in helping you.

But for starters do some research, there's a wealth of info on this forum, just search for it. Buy a few books, the new Danny Brown one is particularly helpful for beginners.

Just so we're clear people - The above post is an example of what is acceptable in this forum.

Unfortunately some other comments were unacceptable, and therefore have been actioned accordingly.

This forum is Herp Help. If you don't have actual help to offer, don't post.

Please be aware that the Herp Help and Reptile Identification forums are for serious posts only.
Members do not come to these forums to read views/guesses or idle chit chat, they come here to read helpful explanatory information.
In light of this, the Moderator's take a zero tolerance approach to policing these forums. Any posts not adhering to these strict guidelines will be actioned accordingly.

Last edited:
(I have not kept a Lacey's yet) my advice is one that most people would disagree with but here it is. Keep a steady balanced diet of a number of meats. Provide a day and night cycle for your monitor and provide plenty of different surfaces for your monitor including hides ,branches and substrate surface eg: flat and rough. As far as handling goes it depends. My mertens water monitor and I have special relationship and trust. He gets handled just about every day and rather enjoys it. So if you want that sort of thing handle him every day but this is not recommended by me or anyone so don't handle him that much, especially since if you stuff up lace monitors or any monitors can really hurt you and do a fair bit of damage. Monitors need a fair bit of room and are relatively active reptiles so bigger is better. As all reptiles they need a water supply that they can access 247 so place a water dish or pond ,depending on the species, are they do have fairly big are droppings so they need to have there enclosures cleaned about twice a week.

Any ways i plan to have very minimal interaction with my lacey (when i get her) until she is around 6-7 months but be around the enclosure this time is when they are always hinding anyway but then slowly in courage interactions as little as sitting next to the tank etc i think when you have one you will be able to tell how its feeling and wether you need to back away and leave it alone or wether they accept or and are not terrified.
BOOKS are awesome they hold the answers to all the questions and are on hand 24/7

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 5 Lacey's , they live outdoors all year and feed on chicken necks and rats.
On hot days i avoid them totally as they are extremely agressive .

Turkey and roo mince are best.
I mix them with raw eggs and calcium powder + peas and flatten onto trays and put them into the freezer, once frozen I cut them into cubes and defrost and feed.

Turkey and roo mince are best.
I mix them with raw eggs and calcium powder + peas and flatten onto trays and put them into the freezer, once frozen I cut them into cubes and defrost and feed.

Wow, I must be "old school". I'm still feeding all my lacies on whole rats, rabbits, quail and mice :)

Why do you include peas?

What sort of meats?

Mince ,chicken necks ,roar beef chunks ,goat ,roar chicken chunks ,kangaroo are certain species eat fish ,yabbies and rats of all sizes. With the beef you should be careful because it can give them very mild runs ,as in poop soup yuck,. Everything else should be fine, lamb is a bit like beef, both should really be only offered as a treat. Giving lace monitors being so big I would most likely be confutable giving them a whole medium size goat steak as they can swallow at least 2 kg of meat at a time in the wild if they get the chance.

Guys some of you might like to give some serious thought to what you feed your large monitors. What Nick posted below is the usual 'recommended' diet, they don't need anything else, certainly not peas. Think about what they eat in the wild.

Wow, I must be "old school". I'm still feeding all my lacies on whole rats, rabbits, quail and mice :)

Mince ,chicken necks ,roar beef chunks ,goat ,roar chicken chunks ,kangaroo are certain species eat fish ,yabbies and rats of all sizes. With the beef you should be careful because it can give them very mild runs ,as in poop soup yuck,. Everything else should be fine, lamb is a bit like beef, both should really be only offered as a treat. Giving lace monitors being so big I would most likely be confutable giving them a whole medium size goat steak as they can swallow at least 2 kg of meat at a time in the wild if they get the chance.

Amongst all that, you listed one food item that has everything a lacie needs. Can you guess what that food item is? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back