Opinions on what would be better for young children?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting a Stimson tomorrow as my first ever snake. I thought it best as I've heard it only needs a heating mat rather than a basking lamp. Sounded a bit easier.
Would you suggest I get it checked over by a vet when I bring it home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's only one type of Australian python which needs a basking lamp (Diamonds) and two others which I'd bother giving them to (bredli and Murray Darling Carpets). All other pythons including all other types of carpets I wouldn't give a lamp to, and would only give floor heat.

Nope, no need to go to a vet. Taking a healthy snake to a vet is just a good way to waste money and pointlessly stress your snake, especially in cooler weather. Just let your new friend settle in and get comfortable :)

What do I need to do to when I first bring it home and in the first few weeks?

He's not eating. I don't know what to do

He's not eating. I don't know what to do

That's not enough information to go on. Age, sex, condition, cage conditions, what feed you offered, how you offered, temperatures, feeding history...

Without any information we can't rule out literally any possible cause. If it's an adult the most likely explanation is that it's just choosing to stop feeding for winter.

Our Stimson has been great for our kids so far

Latest posts

Back