Opinions please - Olive hatchling missing upper jaw scales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles667

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for opening my post.

I have recently obtained an Olive Python from a local seller, I did a pretty decent check of the snake prior to purchase, it seemed to be all good.

I got it home, into it's new enclosure and left it for the night. I awoke the next morning to see part of it's top lip scales seemed to have vanished. I was pretty sure they were there last night, yet they're not now, and no traces of it in it's tank.

Any opinions on what you think it could be? Maybe I just overlooked it completely.

Attachments

• 2014-04-08 20.35.42.1.jpg
    2014-04-08 20.35.42.1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 250
Well, theres nothing you can do about missing scales. You can't glue them back on haha. So just keep an eye on it, make sure it is all good.

It looks fine though :)

Well, theres nothing you can do about missing scales. You can't glue them back on haha. So just keep an eye on it, make sure it is all good.

It looks fine though :)

That's greatly appreciated, thanks!

Do you think it'll heal up, back to the way it was?

Probably not sadly :( but I just had another thought. When they shed they run their chins on everything to get the shed started. So just be mindful that it doesn't cut its self on any rock or get splinters from wood.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The scales will definitely grow back
Probably caused by it rubbing its head on something trying to find out if its new home is secure

If the snake did that in your enclosure, rather than at the seller's place, you'll need to find out where it is abrading those scales and change whatever it is that's causing the rubbing, or permanent scarring may occur. What sort of vents do you have, is there any wire mesh built into the enclosure - these are the sorts of things that cause damage to an escape seeking snake.

I'd regard this as urgent if the damage happened on the first night.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back