Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
What exactly is it ? Recessive ? Co-Dom ?

The complete carpet python book has the silver peppered and says it had appeared in a random clutch and they believe its recessive but not yet proven, Is this the same blood line just bread to something else or something completely different ? Haven't heard much of these so any input would be appreciated,

Cheers

My understanding is it's a hypo jag. Info about exactly what it is does seem difficult to find though.
It's definitely not the same as Hugstas silver peppers though.

EDIT
Found this on SXR site:

The Orange Pepper was named by SXR to describe progeny derived from crossing a Coastal RPM and a Caramel Coastal Carpet Python. Both snakes are a product of co-dominant genes. The resultant double het offspring have extremely reduced black markings and typically an attractive orange to yellow background colour.

Last edited:
They seem really cool. I was told that the orange peppers and the caramels colour darken up over time is this true?

I'm not sure if the OP's are like Jungles and muddy up at 4-5 years but here is a photo of my male super OP.
It looks the same as the day I got it if not brighter at 2.5 years.

Attachments

• OP_Male.jpg
    OP_Male.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 462
I'm not sure if the OP's are like Jungles and muddy up at 4-5 years but here is a photo of my male super OP.
It looks the same as the day I got it if not brighter at 2.5 years.

Please do not take this the wrong way but if its derived from a jag does this mean they're prone to neoro problems ? And if so does the cross back to a "Normal" coastal decrease the chances of that ?

Ok, I can see where this is going to go :rolleyes:
We all know that neuro is associated with the Jag gene however, I have not seen any sign of neuro in my OP's.
As for the "cross back" the jag gene is co dom so they either get it or they dont.
Jag sibs should not show any neuro and from my chats with plenty of Jag breeders including Doc from SXR, the severity and frequency of neuro experienced with jags seem to be over exaggerated.
Doc said he ever only experiences 1 out of every clutch that might show any signs of neuro and even then, they tend to be slight.
I am sure there are extreme cases but from my discussions, it doesn't seem to be the norm.

they look incredible no matter what they are! I would love one!

I bet if someone posted something about about a snake that was housed next to a jag the questions about neuro would come up.

= Orange Pepper is just as prone to neuro as any other jag.

What percentage of jags have you seen develop neuro issues and from a scale of 1 to 10 what would be the average of the affected snakes?

I bet if someone posted something about about a snake that was housed next to a jag the questions about neuro would come up.

I knew this question would but cause an argument but i was just curious, i love jags

I knew this question would but cause an argument but i was just curious, i love jags

I love the look of them too but have not made my mind up whether the neuro issues are blown out of proportion or not. The jag breeders say it is a small percentage and minor issues but have a reason to say that and the jag haters say the neuro issues are in the high percentages and are major effects but they probably have not had a lot to do with jags since they hate them.

Everyone knows Jags have a "stigma" attached to them.
I think you are right andy that most keepers against Jags have not had direct experience with them.
I love the look of them and I did have my concerns prior to purchasing for what I consider a substancial amount of money.
After speaking with numerous Jag breeders I decided to go ahead.
All I can say is the ones I own are as normal and happy as the other 40 snakes in my collection.
I have seen and heard of extreme cases but thats not my personal experience so thats all I am able to contribute.
Lets face it that Jags are here and here to stay.
Many long term Jag breeders I know have confirmed my direct experience so It's up to each individual to make their own choices

The biggest issue to my mind of the whole jag debate is that in every jag clutch half the animals are not jags; ie normal looking cross bred animals. It is these animals, sibs, that have the potential to muddy the waters if they are passed off as pure line bred animals.

Thats a fair call Ships!
As you know Jag is Co-dom and nero is "associated" with the jag gene so, neuro is not an issue with sibs in terms of "muddying" even when you take into account the severity or lack there of.
Any Jag breeder should disclose that the other half of the clutch are Jag sibs, hence not pure with the exception of a pure coastal Jag from the original mutation and no cross breeding which would be hard to confirm.
We all wish for a perfect world with....for some reason I am thinking of g-stings...not to do with snakes of course because that would be just weird!
Thats the second time I have mentioned that tonight but not on this forum.....:shock:

Last edited:
OP is a Hypo Jag and all Jags are a cross of some % none of them are pure....not even any of the coastal Jags in Oz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back