Outdoor Enclosure Examples

Discussion in 'DIY Zone' started by Dopamel, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dopamel

Dopamel Not so new Member

hey all, i hope this is the area to post this as it is DIY. I love to keep my animals outdoors in the summer so I save on electricity and bulbs. [​IMG][​IMG]

If you're interested in outdoor enclosures here's some info:

the round raised gardenbed cost $400 my bonded pair are happy in it....not sure if you can house even more.
    we found the rectangular garage shelf at a green shed for $20, took out the back of it and left the middle shelf. It houses two in the left and a very grumpy blue tongue skink who doesn't like anyone living with him.

asian dollar stores/charity stores are my favorite place to find fake plants
    the PVC pipes in each enclosure are meant for enrichment, I fill the pipes with dirt and the shinglebacks absolutely love to dig into them. the cinderblocks are used for housing food (keeps the rain out) i also have ant bait around the tanks, but ants are still a huge issue!

I would love any tips or experiences related to keeping lizards outside...they also sleep outside and its a bit worrying because of cats (we have no fox problems here) But are cats still able to kill adult skinks?

i also bring them inside when its raining or way too cold so to not have respiratory issues.

Thanks for the look!
    -Ash

Attached Files:

2. BredliFreak

BredliFreak Well-Known Member

Very nice Ash!

could you post some more pics of both your indoor and outdoor enclosures?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, cats will definitely kill the shinglebacks, I've seen cat vs bluey aftermaths and it ain't pretty for the bluey!

3. pinefamily

pinefamily Subscriber Subscriber

Wouldn't be hard to cover the tops with woodframed steel mesh to keep the cats out.

4. pythonmum

pythonmum Subscriber Subscriber

I live on the bush with cat, fox, lace monitors and brush turkeys as threats. I want to build an outdoor enclosure for Cunningham's skinks, so look forward to. Seeing some photos of sturdy enclosures would be great!

5. Dopamel

Dopamel Not so new Member

righto i found some chicken wire at Bunnings i'll try that out

6. pythoninfinite

pythoninfinite Subscriber Subscriber

Good idea to keep things outside if you can. You must be sure to protect them from the extremes of summer though - in open metal enclosures like that, without some good shade, they will cook in a heatwave.

Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.