Outdoor Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Smith

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here but not new as an owner. I have owned a Coastal Carpet (Prescilla) for almost 10 years. I have her in a large timber and glass cabinet inside but was recently given a large bird cage made from tin and and steel mesh. I thought I might make it into an outdoor habitat for her but we get frosts here in Mudgee Nsw, sometimes very heavy, so was wondering if my snake can tolerate frosts. If not I could just have it as an enclosure to use during the day? So would also like to know if moving her from one to another from time to time is advisable?
Thanks.

Hey Sally! I am no expert on coastals but am pretty sure it wouldnt be adviseable to let them experience heavy frost unless you had some seriously heated insulated hide but again i personally wouldnt think it a good idea that for sure! Would be fine to let your coastal roam around in during day providing the temps arent to extreme hot or cold and there are shaded spots etc .

Hi Sally,

Personally provided you set the enclosure up properly in a place that is not shaded during winter (maybe under a deciduous tree) I don't think you'd have a problem but that is up to you. I know of a lady that lived in Inverell (where they also experienced heavy frost) who kept her Carpet outside all year round for about ten years without heating or an insulated hide with no ill effects. It was in a wire enclosure 3m Long x 1m wide & 2.4 high with a clear corrugated roof. She provided the snake with a thick hollow log that extended nearly the length of the cage where the snake would curl up during the colder months and venture out on warm, sunny winter days to thermoregulate. She told me that sometimes it would stay in the log for a week or two at a time. She actually got the snake of me as a hatchling, kept it inside and heated until it was about 1.5 metres in length before she moved it to an outside enclosure. I actually ended back up with the snake when she moved and I passed it on to another friend who also lived in Inverell and kept it outside and as far as I know it's still going ok.

Alternatively, if you really concerned, you could keep it outside during the warmer months from September to the end of April and move it back inside during the period of frost.

Hope it works out, whatever you decide.

George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back