Outdoor Pit Questions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholas4002

Reaction score
hi all, i have recently been wanting to get a reptile pit and put 1 eastern blue tongue in it (and if possible could i have a bearded dragon with it). I don't have much of a limit on size so i was hoping 2x2m would suit. I also live an hour away from Sydney where i see Eastern blue tongues. Could i also have these couple questions answered.

1) where I live it can get quite cold how do i deal with this?
2) how do you keep them warm in brumation?
3) what else do i need to ensure the pit works?

this would be my first outdoor enclosure and i want it to go well.
thanks to all in advance

if they live where you live naturally and experience those colds themselves, then they can withstand them just fine, nothing needed.

Ok thanks, but could a bearded dragon live with the blue tongue or should I just keep 2 bluetongues

With a 2m x 2m setup you can cohab quite successfully, just make sure you have a backup plan as some dragons are more territorial than others.
For dealing with cold and brumation I recommend a brumation box. It needs to be well insulated and filled with bedding. I've seen one done with a modified eski that worked well. Blue tongues can survive really cold temperatures naturally but giving them an extra helping hand doesn't hurt :).
Make sure the enclosure has no poisonous plants and has enough cover to make the reptiles feel secure.

Good luck with the setup! Be sure to post pictures with progress!

thanks, I wasn't sure about how to deal with the cold, so that was a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back