outside snakes enclosure ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillReptiles

Reaction score
hay guys

i was just thinking about getting a snake sometime in the future and was wondering if i can use my old bird aviary. its a 7ft high width and length.

i plan on keeping it outside and just wanted to make sure i can do this as i live in Sydney.
i really like jungle carpet pythons. ive read alot about them being snappy but i dont mind :) but if there are any snakes that will do well in a outside enclosure in Sydney. all opinions will be much appreciated.
thanks

I would be googling what they need temp wise as they are a tropical Python..... I wouldnt like to leave them out in Sydney's weather without heat source etc... Just my inexperienced opinion ;)
Crystal

ok thanks :) im considering all types of snakes that would be suitable outside in sydney but i like jungles the most :)

I reckon any that like cold weather and as long as they have sun hitting the aviary
for a couple of hours each day they should be fine. Note I dont think a lot of rain in winter
would be good for them.... maybe some-one who actually knows something will answer PMSL.....
Crystal ;)

People have successfully kept and bred Diamond pythons outdoors in Sydney. I believe these people were experienced keepers already. There was a good article in a reptile magazine a year or so ago about keeping Diamonds outdoors. Don't be fooled by those who say it can easily be done as special considerations will be required to make it successful.

Jungle pythons can work well as a first snake but not outdoors in Sydney.

Why do you want to keep a snake outdoors anyway?

i keep all my snakes (bredli, diamonds and jungles) outside from when the weather warms up (oct/nov) thru to may (they came in aroud teh 20th of may this year).

the rest of the year they are in indoor enclosures,...but on nice weekends when the sun hits the aviary just right they go out for the day

i also put them in their indoor enclosures forl 2 days after eating,...just to amke sure their temps are perfect for digestion

and on teh really super hot days over summer, i bring them in as well, especially the diamonds cos im paranoid abotu DPS,.... ;P

the best part of this arrangement is when its warm and their eating and pooing constantly the aviary is much easier to clean than teh indoor enclosures,.. :p in the cooler months theres very little cleaning to worry about,.. :p

@ewan oh really, diamond pythons look great. i don't mind spending a bit of money to get the aviary to suit the reptile, as im in no rush to get a snake at the moment.

and the reason for keeping it outside is my parents lmaoo.. they don't mind if i keep lizards inside, but as for snakes they get a bit worried i guess. :/

@chris1 awesome :), sounds like you got a good thing going there, if i get a snake and leave it outside thoughout summer my parents might ease into letting them in the house. :)

thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back