Pagona Barbatas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
I'm looking for an unrelated breeding pair of Pagona Barbatas, they must be unrelated, under 8 months old, healthy and feeding well.

I dont want to buy them off Herp Trader, Preferably off a member or breeder....

I am in Sydney.

Will pay more for nice colourations.

Sorry...Barbattas are Big Bearded dragons, Mine is 21 inches.

Ahh.....Probably an unrelated pair, different sexed that would probably end up breeding.Do you have some fore sale MM?

Lol...You get some of mine when they're up and breeding :)

Cool. Thanks. Didn't recognize barbatus, as I've always known dragons as vitticeps. Spelling as barbatas was drawing blanks from search engine. I hate it when that happens. :?

Sorry... I thought you could Also tell their sex bu the spots near their vent?

There are many different ways to sex them.
1. Males generally have larger heads
2. The pores along their legs. Males generally are larger and more profound
3. At the base of the tail, the male has two bumps paralell to each other. Females have one bump going horizotally.
These are just some of the more reliable sexing techniques.
Pogona Barbata is the eastern beadred dragon. Barbatus is the old name i think
Cheers Simo

The way to sex beardies is.....The girls are the ones that lay the eggs.
Seriously, I have seen some experienced herpers get it wrong with fully mature adult beardies.
There are indicators as mentioned but none are 100% reliable.

PS. best one was a beardie I had identified as male layed eggs 2 weeks later.:)

Yup indeed, I am with Maggie on this one too, God I agree with this fella too much lately ! They can be sexed but not reliably at such a young age.

Best way is to buy 4 or so odds are you'll get a pair then sell any that are not needed.
Head shape is useless at a you age, tail lumps are most reliable but at a young age it's still not 100%.

I know what you mean Magpie i had 2 young females housed together a few seasons back, they produced 3 clutches. :?

Magpie and NoOne are pretty well spot on, there is no guarantee.
Another pointer is the males tend to have blacker beards - again more evident as they get older.

I bought two hatchlings (vitticeps) last season requiring females, the breeder from Sydney reckoned he could pick it for me and he did - both girls. He knew himself though it was an educated guess, but very young hatchlings just the same!

Belinda, if you want colours, - buy vitticeps!
Cheers
Ad

Yeah my boss just got2 central bearded dragons and they are showing great colour at an early age.

PS: if you want the details of where she got them just ask

cheers, jeremy

Al - Barbatas are eastern Bearded dragons - Live around the coast of Eastern Australia, and inland a bit. Generally grow larger than vitties, look more baddass and have a slightly more aggressive attitude in captivity as a GENERAL rule. Mainly distinguishable from vitties by their wicked yellow mouths! Like vitties they can also be different colour morphs, though this is a lot less common in captivity as there tend not to be as many that have been line bred through generations. I did see an amazing bright green one in Byron Bay though (no it was not a vision induced by Byrons biggest export ) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back