Paint Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_lizard

Reaction score
Quick silly question for you all.... :oops:

I'm in the process of building several new reptile enclosures and was wondering if using oil based paint is a problem? They will be fully aired out (about 3 weeks - 1 month) before any animals go in.

Is there any problems with using oil based paint? Should only water based be used?

first what type of wood are you using?
with water based paint if it keeps getting wet or damp it will go moldy and eventually rot the wood and you end up with a big mess
with oil based it is made to be water proof so the wettness wont be a problem
but oil based has more fumes and should be aired out very well 3 weeks should be heaps of time but make sure you still ahve good ventilation in the cabenits

Mainly Melamine. The problem is I think I will have to undercoat it to paint it. However, I don't think painting is necessary for all of it. Just one of the cupboards needs the doors painted...

And I also have another cupboard I'm converting which is veneered chipboard. I lightly sanded it and spray painted it with cheap paint in a can from a hardware/$2 shop.

If I paint (water or oil) I will probably use a coat of lacquer over the top which will waterproof it. As I got a matt lacquer, it should also take off any major "shine"....

Oil based paint is the better paint, but you can get very good water based as well.
It would have to be outside paint though, as that will be waterproof.
With Solar Guard (water base) and some others paints, you would not have to undercoat either.
But I personally would use oil; in any case, lacquer is definitely the go for the last coat.
:)

i have no idea regarding paint, but as regards airing the encloser to get rid of the smell, i think nicole did something like put half an onion inside and it soaks up the smell/fumes.....

Nicole is that right?

Cheers
STP
Leader of the Love the GLove Party

If only one door needs matching colour why not buy the laminate to match the melamine?
All you do is iron it on.

I used oil based when I had to paint a second hand enclosure I was given. MDF soaks it up real bad. I had to put about 6 coats on to make it water proof. Just throwing this little tidbit of information out there, no real relevence.

Sure is STP! :)
I used marine grade 1 pack polyurethene (? still haven't learned how to spell that :lol: ), and the fumes were terrible. VENTILATION, VENTILATION, VENTILATION. Then I came across a tip from Africa and the Dr Paint website, place a cut onion in a pan of water in the enclosure afterward, it absorbs the fumes. I let it air out for about a month, and I ran the heatting for a few days, not only to check my temps and thermostats, but to cure the paint some more.
The girls only moved in after all fumes were gone (ie when I stuck my head in there I couldn't smell them).

Tell you what though, I think it was worth the extra money and the delay. Got my uncle to paint them (professional painter), and I think the finish looks fantastic... back me up David and Graham, you have seen them :D

It is completly water-proof, smooth, shiny, and very very easy to clean. :D

Forgot to mention, this was on MDF, took 3 coats.

:)

Consider yourself backed, Nicole. The enclosures sure are impressive!

Hey Lusty, according to your profile you are still living in Ashfield, well not your profile really just the details up under your avatar.
Slacko :)

Nag

Nag, nag, nag! God! We might as well be married, Phil! OK! OK! I'll fix it! Sheesh!

.... of course, I just KNOW you're sitting there waiting for me to do that, so you can poke fun at my suburb name......

...so.... go one... get it over with [cringe!] :x {But do it in Chit Chat - we're getting off topic here! :wink: }

would I EVER make fun of a fellow member here? Never I say never! And I am not getting off topic, this is a topic about paint isn't it?? I just wanted to ask if all the little housies in Campsie are painted a sweet shade of Pink ? :)

Sure are nice Nicole and the finish looks brilliant. Carmel was also very impressed.

G 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back