Panoptes or Spenceri or ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sniffmylizard

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a large monitor but I am at the point where I would like some advice on these 2 and opinions. I am even open to other suggestions. I have smaller monitors but would like to add a larger one to my menagerie.
Everything I read about Lacies says get some time up with other species so I am happy to leave the Lacies to the people with more experience.
I just want to make a well informed decision before committing to a larger monitor.
I have Danny Browns new book on monitors and various other literature I have read over and over again.
What I don’t have is experience with the larger species.
Therefore I would appreciate any advice/input.

Thanks in advance.

I've only ever seen wild panoptes and never kept any but, personally, I'd go (and did go) Spencers. Males seem to settle quicker than females and a big male is a very impressive beastie. One for sale ATM complete with enclosure.

Agreed Spenceri, they are awesome lizards :)
I cannot wait to even just get an ackie, then upgrade from there to a Perentie, mum has said a strict NO to just an Ackie though :(

Hi Paul, I haven't kept Spenceri but I can give you feedback on keeping Panoptes. I had my 2 Panoptes from when they were about 500mm TL, so quite young. They weren't ever really 'skittish' like many monitors are as juveniles, they seemed to love interaction & weren't afraid of me. Their feeding response, even when they were young, was like no other monitor I have kept including my Lacie. This made opening the enclosure occasionally difficult, you had to be very aware of them until they realised that there was no food. Then they were both very calm & happily allowed me to pick them up, although they never really enjoyed being held for any period of time. But they never ever bit me, or attempted too. They occasionally hissed at me & I copped the odd tail whip but nothing else.

I think they're the best of all of our monitors, they have so much character & look absolutely stunning. I don't keep them anymore for the simple reason that I have grown to realise that in my opinion large monitors (Varuis, Panoptes, Spenceri) need to be kept outdoors, they need lots of room. My Panoptes (who still weren't fully grown when i sold them) were so active that they seemed to be going crazy in their enclosure scratching at the glass constantly (the enclosure was 3 metres long). As you live in Darwin I would recommend that if you intend on keeping Panoptes then build a nice big aviary or pit outdoors. This then also makes feeding time easier.

I hope that helps you with your decision.

Thanks to all for your replies. Last night I contacted the breeder and purchased a Varanus Panoptes.

Nice to read a little bit of info about panoptes - my 6yo daughter wants both a yellow-spotted and a lacie when she's older. She's been adamant about the fact since she was 3 lol, knows the difference too, so we couldn't fob her off with an ackie. Instead we made the deal that once she was 16, if she got a job, got her license, built appropriate enclosure(s), and did an appropriate amount of research, then we would buy her one. They sound really neat by your description!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back