Panther shot in Victoria!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Springherp

Reaction score
Gidday everyone,

Well we've all heard the stories of the alleged big cats on the loose in the Australian bush.

The phenomenon of sightings have be on going for many years.

The lack of substantial proof has caused many to dismiss the mystery as a myth.

Finally, some conclusive proof has been uncovered as to the existance of big cats roaming the Australian bush.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16857414%5E661,00.html

People under-estimate the amount of bushland in Oz that is undisturbed by humans. You can fly for hours over parts of Australia without seeing human settlement or impact.

Even bushland close to human settlement can be untouched by humans for years.

By considering the vast expanse of Australia, it makes it easier to contemplate what other elusive beasts could be walking our bushland undescribed by science.

Another good example is the giant squid (Archetuthis). How could something so BIG go for so long without being photographed?

Sorry to rant, but I just figured now was a good time to remind people what researchers with an open-mind and willingness to be ridiculed can discover! :) Take a risk!

Cheers

Very interesting!! I have always believed since I saw one in NSW as a kid. Again, another large clack cat - I have no idea if it was a Puma or a Panther but it was in the middle of nowhere and scarred the hell out of my family!!
I know that this is probably just going to get me shot down, but I LOVE big cats - it's a shame that they're not able to be captured and released back where they are native....
Bex

Whereabouts in NSW did you see it?
Have you ever reported it to anyone?
Can you elaborate on the story a bit more please?
Thanks bek!

I know someone (well, used to know them) that saw it probably around 20 + years ago in Maryborough (vic). I hope this evidence does prove their existence as I have always believed it :)

It unfortunately probably won't prove its existance to alot of people.
I'm friends with the researcher of this case and he says already people have questioned if the picture is a "photoshop" job, and "How do we know if the DNA you sent came from the animal that was shot?" etc. :(

It BS. He's out hunting but cant bring back a carcass, He tooled up to take large game(blew the cats head off) so he would have the set up to get it back same as if he got a pig or a deer. If he's trophy shooting he's not gonna use that kind of ammo.
Only has the tail, wheres the paws, the ears, some teeth. The carcass is hanging from a tree so some of it will still be there, In rugged terrain, he's on a bike, cant be to rugged.

It unfortunately probably won't prove its existance to alot of people.
I'm friends with the researcher of this case and he says already people have questioned if the picture is a "photoshop" job, and "How do we know if the DNA you sent came from the animal that was shot?" etc.

I expected this to happen. I hope it turns out to be true. Too many sightings over too many years for it to not be true. :)

Looks like am ordinary black cat and has been hung up in the foreground with him in the background to make it look big. Story sounds fishy too, wouldnt you keep the whole thing, instead of chucking it in the river so no one can ever find it.Sounds like crap to me.

Hey Austrelaps thanks for sharing... LOVE hearing stories like that!

Great to finally see a picture. Just did a Google news - hoping to find more info but no such luck.

Anyone found any more pictures??

interesting cant wiat for the DNA results, but as said its a bit fishy and i agree if i found a find like that, i wouldnt have thrown it in the river, i would have found a way to get it back to camp or even go get it when i was able to, but an interesting article regardless.

Looks like domestic cat paws also a hunter of any experiance would not dispose of the carcass in the river!
Wouldnt change ammo for the big cat looks like 303 and that would take a domestic cats head off not a big cat. too many things dont add up.

Maybe cat crap for sure....who really knows?
We've all heard stories for years; and still have'nt got one.
Considering this; i spent sometime working out west (near Gregory- Lawn Hill) Northern Queensland.
I found it very hard to reason with the station owners, as to what has happened there for years now.
They all; including the stockmen there; describe cattle killed, beheaded, and in some cases carcusses dragged into trees.....one chopper poilet and his spotter; firm in their beliefs; related a story to me; off them seeing one at close range, while mustering....I asked the owners why they had not taken the matter further and reported sighting's to a relevent government dept....The response was a stirn ..'like bloody-hell; the last we need is somebody turning this place into a reserve for damn cats etc'.....
Who am i to say?, i dont know.... i'm still waiting for some pic's to be sent to me :roll:

I have no idea where I was, all I know is that we were on a proper road with bushland either side of us. That's all my sister remembers and thanx to a bad childhood, my Mums memory barely exists of the time we lived up there. Either way, it was at around 1987.
I say goodluck to thpse who CAN prove if they're out there though...
Bex

If it was so big how did he string it up in the first place and who took the photo. Anyone with half a brain would have left it there and gotten other people to help him move it etc, instead of dumping it...

Cheers

they finally caught one..My Dad's uncle also swore he saw one about 30 years ago on the NSW South Coast I think!

Lmao, who would be stupid enough to throw a panther carcass in the river? Why the river? What would possibly drive him to throw a discovery like that into a river? That is the real mystery lol, does the mystery dumbass panther hunter really exist? Or is he just a myth? Can a hunter really be that stupid, very hard to believe, i need proof of his lack of intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back