Paradox info please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOZ4R2

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all im new too herping and stumbled upon a paradox and am in aww of this snake!.
Anyhooo my questions are are they only found in albino darwin or can they be found in any species?.
How much are they and wear can you get one?
Thanks Shonnie xx

A paradox is an albino animal that shows some black pigment. These are regularly produced in small numbers by a few breeders and carry a higher price tag than a normal albino Darwin. They could (in theory) be found in any albino morph, but I haven't seen pics of them in other Australian albinos.

Bob Clark have a paradox ball python, really awesome.

Someone on here just bred a paradox albino darwin a few months ago....it was very cool :D

A paradox is an albino animal that shows some black pigment. These are regularly produced in small numbers by a few breeders and carry a higher price tag than a normal albino Darwin. They could (in theory) be found in any albino morph, but I haven't seen pics of them in other Australian albinos.

do you know how much more then albinos i think they look awesome i would love one in my collection depending on price

My albinos came from parents that thew paradox soo fingers crossed but i have heard that you need hets to get them or is it possible to get paradox from 2 albinos pairing. can any one shine some light on that?

I think I have heard that albino paradox are not genetic?
If this is the case is it impossible to really breed it and improve the line?

Generally the more black pigment on paradox's the higher the price tag....

I have a friend who breeds them on a yearly basis- to some they look like a poo stained snake but i dont mind the look of them, something different.

Beautyreptiles would you mind getting your friend to contact me or PM me with contact details very interested in obtaining one...

Technically speaking a paradox is something inconsistent with the norm. Its not an albino with black pigment, its something contrary to what should be. The paradox term is used to describe albinos with pigment however its not limited to them. As far as I'm aware its not genetic and most come where there has been a het parent.

Yes, paradox means something unexpected, but in the herp world it is most commonly used for albinos with some black pigment. There seems to be a genetic basis for paradox albinos, becaues some people have pairs that reliably produce a small number of paradox offspring. However, it is not a simple genetic trait like the albino mutation.

Firstly.........Paradox Albino's are able to be reproduced from Albino x Albino, Albino x Het and Het x Het combinational pairings.
Secondly......The largest number of Paradox albino's have been produced from breeding with albino x albino and not even using a het.
ALL the other keeper's (less than 7) who have been fortunate enough to hatch a single specimen (or two) have used the het x het or albino x het combination, so it's untrue that a het needs to be used.

Paradox Albino's is not a mutation that is unable to reproduce, so don't worry about what thought thought, or that So and So said so...........they certainly are capable and do reproduce it, there are many people around Australia who have them (around 20 as far as i'm aware).

It is not something which is inconsistent to the norm......A Paradox is a contradiction in meaning, as an Albino should be completely melanin free, so it's a contradicition of fact to have an "Albino" showing any melanin (black, grey or brown pigment).

These are not readily available at this time and as far as i'm aware, it's only the odd few which are being sold and that is it.

As i have been stating for the last 4 years now, in time we will see more of these being produced but with any complex genetic or multi-combinational mode of inheritance, large numbers take alot of time, effort, space and money to get the numbers up to a stage where they can be offered and become commonly available.

The above is not a story of what i've heard, it is FACT!........How do i know?......i'm the breeder who has the most experience with this mutation and as far as i'm aware, the only person producing them season after season, clutch after clutch.......They are not CHIMERA's, they are not infertile and they are not conjoined twins..................They are Albino's with melanin.

Last edited:
Thanks for setting the record straight, Mick. You certainly have the most amazing variety of pure Darwin lines.

@ orientalis- so u produce these each year? how many do u have? do u sell them or hold them all back? and do u have pics? sorry for the questions im just really interested in paradox albino's and ur very lucky to be producing them season after season. It is my goal to produce my very own paradox. :)

So ORIENTALIS...a pair that produces 1-2-4-6 in a clutch whether they are het-albino combo or albino pair..is there a percentage that are paradox or can change from one season to the next,even if the same parents were used..Fantastic post with alot of great information..

There is another species that has a single known paradox specimen. In the flesh it is unbelievable.

I have a paradox albino darwin also but the black is minimal.
There was a paradox olive python floating around a couple of years ago I was also told that the leucistic spotted produced a/some paradox leucies.

Some great info all! Oriental how much do you sell yours for generally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back